Newcastle United suffer Aarons blow

TALENT: Rolando Aarons in action against Liverpool.
TALENT: Rolando Aarons in action against Liverpool.
Have your say

ROLANDO Aarons is out of Newcastle United’s games against Tottenham Hotspur and Sunderland.

Alan Pardew had hoped to have Aarons back in time for tomorrow night’s Capital One Cup quarter-final against Tottenham Hotspur.

But Aarons – who scored against Manchester City in the last round of the competition – isn’t yet ready to return from the hamstring problem which has sidelined him since early last month.

And the 19-year-old won’t be fit in time for Sunday’s Tyne-Wear derby at St James’s Park.

It is Aarons’s second spell out with a hamstring injury this season, and United’s medical staff won’t take any risks with his comeback.

The England Under-20 international forced his way into Newcastle manager Pardew’s plans in pre-season.

And Aarons – who signed a professional contract at the club late last season – scored in the club’s 3-3 home draw against Crystal Palace after coming off the bench.

Pardew, however, will have midfielder Moussa Sissoko back from suspension for the Tottenham game.

The in-form midfielder’s absence, in Pardew’s view, affected the “balance” of his team against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium, where the team was beaten 4-1 on Saturday.

“We didn’t quite get the balance of the team right without him,” said Pardew.

“We changed it a few times to try and get it. We didn’t find it. We weren’t offensive, but probably over-exposed ourselves. The game got a bit too open.”

And the availability of Sissoko and defender Steven Taylor – who also missed the Arsenal game because of a one-game ban – is timely given the importance of this week’s two fixtures.

“It’s a big week, we look forward to that,” said Pardew. “The quarter-finals, and then, of course, Sunderland.”

Meanwhile, the Scottish Football Association is ready to punish Mike Ashley and Rangers over the Newcastle owner’s Ibrox involvement.

The SFA has issued both Ashley and the club with notices of complaints.

The latest development in the Rangers saga came the same day as it was confirmed boss Ally McCoist had tendered his resignation.

McCoist has given a 12-month notice period, but the final say on whether the manager remains in charge of the cash-strapped club for that long could ultimately rest with the Sports Direct tycoon.

However, Ashley’s behind-the-scenes manoeuvrings have now put him on a collision course with the SFA.

Compliance Officer McGlennan has charged him with breaching two of the governing body’s rules.