NEWCASTLE United will look to clarify an interview with Fabricio Coloccini in which the club’s captain claimed he wanted to sign for San Lorenzo.
Coloccini was quoted by Ole in Argentina as saying he wanted to join the club “as soon as possible”.
San Lorenzo tried and failed to sign Coloccini in January, and again in the summer, but Newcastle held on to the 31-year-old, who said he “respected” Newcastle’s hardline stance.
Coloccini returned to the starting XI for Saturday’s 2-1 win over Norwich City after a five-game absence.
And Newcastle manager Alan Pardew said he hadn’t yet spoken to Coloccini – who is under contract at St James’s Park until 2016 – about the interview.
“I don’t know much about it,” he said. “I haven’t spoken to him.
“I wasn’t aware of that, if I’m honest. But it’s difficult when players go home and they are interviewed. You never know if there’s any truth in it.”
Pardew felt Coloccini – who suffered a groin injury early last month – was “comfortable” on his comeback, though the Argentina international was at fault for Leroy Fer’s late goal.