Newcastle United’s Demba Ba is at a loss

Have your say

DEMBA Ba left the field at Carrow Road bitterly disappointed his two goals weren’t enough to take any points for Newcastle United.

The striker’s looking to take out his frustration on Swansea City at St James’s Park on Saturday.

Ba took his goal tally for the season to 11 in Saturday’s 4-2 defeat to Norwich City.

The 26-year-old’s looking to bring many more goals to Newcastle between now and the end of the season, having enjoyed a stunning start to his career at St James’s Park.

“The more you score, the more you get confident – football’s like that for a striker,” said Ba.

“At the moment, that’s what’s happening to me, and hopefully I can keep on going.”

Norwich took the lead late in the first half through Wes Hoolahan, but Ba scored a well-taken goal before the interval after Yohan Cabaye found him with a lofted pass.

Grant Holt and Steve Morison put Norwich in control, and it looked over for United after Dan Gosling’ was dismissed in the 66th minute.

But Newcastle fought back again, and Ba gave United’s 1,400 supporters hope with another goal after latching on to a pass from Shola Ameonbi.

However, Holt’s second goal of the afternoon ended hopes of a comeback, and Ba and his team-mates are already focused on a run of two winnable home games.

Ba said: “It was very difficult. After the three games without a win, we just wanted to come here and take the three points.

“When Dan got sent off, I was just thinking about coming back in the game, scoring some goals and getting at least one point.”

Andrew Surman went down under pressure from Gabriel Obertan in the Newcastle box, but Martin Atkinson waved play on.

Norwich had another shout for a penalty turned away after 26 minutes when Kyle Naughton’s flat cross caught Davide Santon’s out-stretched arm, but again Atkinson waved play on, much to the home fans’ anger.

It was Norwich who took the lead five minutes before half-time. The assistant referee, despite being positioned at least 30 yards away, ruled that Tim Krul had carried the ball out for a corner from a looping shot despite the goalkeeper insisting he had kept the ball in play.

The Dutchman palmed away Crofts’ powerful header from the resulting corner, but the ball rebounded in off Hoolahan to give Norwich the opener.

Their anger lasted barely five minutes, however, as Ba latched on to Cabaye’s excellent through-ball before prodding past Ruddy to make it 1-1 in first-half injury time.

Norwich made it 2-1 just before the hour when Krul parried Holt’s header with his feet before the journeyman striker powered home the rebound off the bar from eight yards.

Gosling dallied on the edged of his own box, allowing Crofts to race down the flank and cross for Morison, who hammered home a powerful header for his seventh of the season.

Gosling’s afternoon went from bad to worse two minutes later when he was given a straight red for a dangerous late tackle on Russell Martin.

The match was set up for a tense finish when Ameobi won the ball on the halfway line after Zak Whitbread dallied, and played in Ba, who controlled calmly before drilling past Ruddy with 20 minutes to go.

The atmosphere around Carrow Road eased with eight minutes to go as Holt took advantage of slack marking to head home Bradley Johnson’s cross to make it 4-2.

Norwich: Ruddy, R Martin, Whitbread (Barnett 83), Tierney, Naughton, Crofts, Surman (Johnson 76), Hoolahan (Jackson 84), Fox, Morison, Holt. Subs: Rudd, Pilkington, Bennett, Wilbraham

Newcastle: Krul, Santon (Ferguson 90+3), Simpson, Perch, R Taylor, Cabaye, Gosling, Gutierrez, Obertan (Sa Ameobi 80), Ba, Sh Ameobi (Smith 90+1) Subs: Elliot, Ben Arfa, Lovenkrands, Best.

Ref: Atkinson Att: 26,816.