Newcastle United 3 Crystal Palace 3: Mike Ashley watches dramatic draw

JOY ... Rolando Aarons.
JOY ... Rolando Aarons.
Have your say

MIKE Williamson’s first goal for Newcastle United wasn’t enough to give the club a win over Crystal Palace this afternoon.

Williamson had netted two minutes from time at St James’s Park to put Alan Pardew’s side ahead.

LEVELLER ... Newcastle's Daryl Janmaat scored against Palace.

LEVELLER ... Newcastle's Daryl Janmaat scored against Palace.

But Wilfried Zaha levelled four minutes into injury time in front of watching Newcastle owner Mike Ashley, and the game ended 3-3.

Daryl Janmaat cancelled out Dwight Gayle’s opening goal before the break, with the strike the club’s first in the Premier League this season.

But Neil Warnock’s side retook the lead through a 48th-minute strike from Jason Puncheon.

Substitute Rolando Aarons reinvigorated United after his 67th-minute introduction.

Aarons headed an equaliser, and it was from his shot that Williamson netted his first goal in 139 Newcastle games.

But Zaha claimed a point for Palace deep in added time, and United were left to rue some dreadful defending.

Pardew handed Siem de Jong his first Premier League start, while Massadio Haidara was preferred to Paul Dummett at left-back.

Newcastle got off to the worst possible start.

Gayle struck in the first minute after Tim Krul turned a shot from Marouane Chamakh on to the post.

It looked like being a long afternoon for Newcastle, and the name of outcast Hatem Ben Arfa was chanted by some frustrated fans.

United struggled to break Palace down, and Warnock’s side looked a danger on the break.

Newcastle, up against an organised team defending deep and in numbers, just couldn’t work an opening.

The equaliser had an element of fortune to it. Janmaat broke into the box and his persistence was eventually rewarded. The defender was able to prod the ball past Julien Speroni after it was laid off to him.

United, however, were back to square one after the break.

Puncheon was the beneficiary of some dreadful defending in the 48th minute, the forward beating Krul with a volley to restore Palace’s one-goal lead.

Visiting defender Martyn Kelly was allowed to roam upfield in the 57th minute and pick his post.

Fortunately for Newcastle, Krul was able to turn his shot round the post.

Pardew replaced the ineffective Yoan Gouffran with Aarons in the 67th minute.

It didn’t take the teenager long to make an impact.

Remy Cabella’s corner was inadvertently flicked on by a Palace player, and the unmarked Aarons was able to head the ball beyond Speroni.

Both teams pressed for a winner.

Visiting substitute Wilfried Zaha shot across goal, and Aarons curled a shot just beyond Speroni’s left-hand post.

And Williamson thought he had claimed all three points in the 88th minute.

The defender was there to poke the ball home after a shot from Aarons struck the post.

But Zaha netted deep in injury time to claim a point for Palace.

The result left United 16th in the league.

Twitter: @milesstarforth

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Krul; Janmaat (Anita, 79), Coloccini, Williamson, Haidara; Colback, Sissoko; Cabella, de Jong (Perez, 79), Gouffran (Aarons, 67); Riviere. Subs not used: Elliot, Dummett, S Taylor, Obertan.

CRYSTAL PALACE: Speroni, Mariappa, Dann, Delaney, Kelly, Puncheon, Jedinak, Ward, Bolasie (Murray, 83), Chamakh (Campbell, 51), Gayle (Zaha, 70). Subs not used: Hennessey, Hangeland, Bannan, Williams.

Goals: Gayle 1, Janmaat 38, Puncheon 48, Aarons 74, Williamson 88, Zaha 90

Bookings: Mariappa 41, Chamakh 44, Aarons 90

Referee: Mike Jones (Chester)

Attendance: 49,226