Newcastle 2 Liverpool 2: Cabaye, Dummett give Mags boost ahead of Wear-Tyne derby

Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel tangles with Newcastle's Moussa Sissoko
Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel tangles with Newcastle's Moussa Sissoko
Have your say

GOALS from Yohan Cabaye and Paul Dummett steered Newcastle United to a point from a pulsating game against Liverpool this afternoon.

The two sides drew 2-2 at St James’s Park in a game which hinged on the decision to send off Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa when Alan Pardew’s side were 1-0 up.

Cabaye gave United the lead with a stunning 30-yard shot.

But visiting captain Steven Gerrard levelled from the penalty spot after referee adjudged Yanga-Mbiwa to have fouled Luis Suarez.

Substitute Dummett put Newcastle back in the lead early in the second half, but Daniel Sturridge equalised in the 73rd minute.

Before the game more than 500 fans marched from the city centre to St James’s Park to protest against owner Mike Ashley, who wasn’t at the stadium to watch the match.

Pardew recalled forward Hatem Ben Arfa, and striker Papiss Demba Cisse – who has struggled for form this season – dropped down to the bench.

Newcastle made a positive start to the game, though they had one early scare when Glen Johnson took a tumble in the box under a challenge from Yanga-Mbiwa, who started in place of the injured Fabricio Coloccini.

Referee Andre Marriner waved play on. He wouldn’t be so generous next time, however.

Otherwise, United moved the ball well, and Mathieu Debuchy tested former Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet with a low drive in the fifth minute.

A Suarez header from a Gerrard corner, which looked to be going narrowly wide, was headed out for a corner by Davide Santon in the 20th minute.

The breakthrough came in the 23rd minute.

After a spell of Liverpool pressure, Cabaye took the ball on the halfway line and charged forward. He looked up and unleashed a dipping 30-yard shot that had Mignolet well beaten.

Cabaye put another effort from distance just wide in the 35th minute, and Mignolet could only palm away a fierce shot from Sissoko as the half-time break approached.

Suarez tested Tim Krul with a low shot in the 40th minute.

But Liverpool did level before the interval. Yanga-Mbiwa pulled back Suarez in the box, and Gerrard stepped up to convert the resulting penalty to score his 100th Premier League goal.

Newcastle’s players protested in the belief Suarez was offside, but Yanga-Mbiwa had played him on.

Dummett, the only defender on Pardew’s bench, came on for Moussa Sissoko. But his greatest contribution didn’t come in his own half – it came at the other end of the field.

In the 56th minute everyone missed a deep Cabaye free kick into the box – except Dummett. The 22-year-old was waiting at the far post and had the simplest of tap-ins for his first United goal.

Sturridge levelled with a header from a left-wing Suarez cross in the 73rd minute

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Krul; Debuchy, Williamson, Yanga-Mbiwa, Santon; Cabaye (Anita, 78), Tiote, Sissoko (Dummett, 45); Ben Arfa (Sammy Ameobi, 78), Remy, Gouffran. Subs not used: Elliot, Obertan, Shola Ameobi, Cisse.

LIVERPOOL: Mignolet, Johnson (Sterling, 83), Cissokho, Toure, Skrtel, Sakho (Alberto, 63), Henderson, Gerrard, Moses, Suarez, Sturridge. Subs not used: Jones, Agger, Kelly, Flanagan, Allen.

Goals: Cabaye 23, Gerrard 43 (pen), Dummett 56, Gouffran 68, Sturridge 73

Bookings: Gerrard 45, Toure 71, Sturridge 84

Sent off: Yanga-Mbiwa 42

Referee: Andre Marriner (West Midlands)

Attendance: 51,703 (3,235 Liverpool)