Morecambe 0 Newcastle 2: Ameobis double up to see Mags through

Have your say

THE Ameobi brothers sent Newcastle United into the third round of the Capital One Cup on a dramatic night at the Globe Arena tonight.

Late goals from Shola and Sammy saw off a spirited Morecambe side, who had them on the ropes for much of the first half.

But they couldn’t make their chances count, and United progressed to the next stage of the competition thanks to a 1-0 win.

Newcastle were given a first-half battering by Jim Bentley’s League Two side.

Midfielder Dan Gosling twice cleared off the line - from Mark Hughes and Padraig Amond - and goalkeeper Rob Elliot also had to be at his best. He twice denied Amond.

At the other end, Gael Bigirimana saw a free kick tipped over by Barry Roche, but United, pinned back for much of the half, struggled to create clearcut chances.

Pardew replaced Haris Vuckic with Shola Ameobi for the second half, and the long-serving striker should have done better in the 49th minute after being set free by Gosling.

But he shot over the bar, and Sylvain Marveaux put another effort into the stand in the 61st minute.

Hatem Ben Arfa replaced the anonymous Yoan Gouffran for the last 19 minutes.

Ben Arfa found Ameobi on the edge of the box in the 84th minute. His low shot took a deflection off Morecambe captain Mark Hughes on its way past Barry Roche.

And Shola’s young sibling Sammy added a second in injury time, again from a Ben Arfa pass.

MORECAMBE: Roche, Hughes, Diagne, Wright, Sampson, Williams, Ellison, Drummond (Mwasile, 88), Fleming (Kenyon, 77), Parrish, Amond (Marshall, 59). Subs not used: Arestidou, Threlfall, McCready, McGee.

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Elliot; Debuchy, Yanga-Mbiwa, Good, Dummett; Bigirimana, Gosling; Sammy Ameobi, Vuckic (Shola Ameobi, 46), Marveaux (Sissoko, 88); Gouffran (Ben Arfa, 71). Subs not used: Alnwick, Santon, Streete, Anita.

Goals: Shola Ameobi 84, Sammy Ameobi 90

Bookings: Fleming 12, Marveaux 41, Sampson 75

Referee: Mark Haywood (West Yorkshire)