Man United dump Newcastle out of the cup

CLEVERLEY DONE ... Man United's Tom Cleverley celebrates his goal.
CLEVERLEY DONE ... Man United's Tom Cleverley celebrates his goal.
Have your say

PAPISS Demba Cisse returned to form for Newcastle United at Old Trafford tonight - but it wasn’t enough to keep the club in the Capital One Cup.

Manchester United won the third-round tie 2-1 thanks to goals from Anderson and Tom Cleverley.

Cisse sparked a late comeback after coming off the bench and opening his seasonal account with a headed goal.

The striker – who had struggled for form up to the game – also hit the crossbar with an audacious overhead kick.

Manager Alan Pardew had made nine changes to the team which beat Norwich City on Saturday.

Captain Fabricio Coloccini returned from a hamstring injury, while Tiote, fit after recovering from a calf problem, made his first start since August.

Sir Alex Ferguson, meanwhile, named fit-again Wayne Rooney in his Man United starting XI.

Dan Gosling had an 14th-minute chance after Shola Ameobi headed a cross from the right to him, but the midfielder sliced his attempted volley.

Newcastle goalkeeper Rob Elliot, making only his third appearance for the club, had to be at his best at the other end to stop a shot from Anderson, who had played a one-two with Cleverley on his way into the box.

Midway through the half James Tavernier, playing out of position at left-back, cut inside and on to his right foot for a shot, which he skewed wide of David De Gea’s goal.

Elliot denied Danny Welbeck with a low reaction save, and the more the half wore on, the more Ferguson’s side took control. In the 34th minute Cleverley shot wide after Javier Hernandez found him in space.

Just as it looked Newcastle were going to get to the break unscathed, Man United got their breakthrough.

Anderson took the ball from a throw-in and shrugged off a weak challenge from Gosling before turning towards goal and squeezing the ball between Elliot and his post with his left foot.

Haris Vuckic shot narrowly wide early in the half before Cleverley struck a second for the home side, the midfielder picking his spot after Welbeck found him just outside the box.

Pardew threw on Cisse and Shane Ferguson, and the pair combined for Newcastle’s goal.

Ferguson broke down the left and put in a telling cross which Cisse was able to head past De Gea with ease to halve the deficit.

Newcastle pressed for an equaliser in the last half hour. Gosling put an effort just over the bar with 15 minutes left on the clock, and Cisse hit the crossbar with a dramatic overhead shot.

However, the goal wouldn’t come.

But Cisse’s form bodes well for Newcastle ahead of Saturday’s Premier League visit to Reading.

Twitter: @milesstarforth

MANCHESTER UNITED: De Gea; Vermijl (Tunnicliffe, 77), Keane, Wootton, Buttner (Brady, 86); Welbeck, Anderson, Fletcher, Cleverley; Rooney (Powell, 76), Hernandez. Subs not used: Johnstone, Evans, Lingard, King.

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Elliot; Perch, Williamson, Coloccini (Ferguson, 61), Tavernier; Obertan, Tiote (Bigirimana, 71), Gosling, Marveaux; Vuckic (Cisse, 61); Shola Ameobi. Subs not used: Harper, Anita, Amalfitano, Sammy Ameobi.

Goals: Anderson 44, Cleverley 58, Cisse 62

Bookings: Tiote 59, Bigirimana 90

Referee: Anthony Taylor (Wythenshawe)

Attendance: 46,358