JONAS Gutierrez is back at Newcastle United – after a move to Velez Sarsfield broke down.
Gutierrez was in his native Argentina for talks over a return to his former club last week.
But the Gazette reported last week that the proposed transfer to Velez was in the balance.
And the 31-year-old winger – who resumed his football career in December after being given the all-clear following treatment for testicular cancer – arrived back on Tyneside today after making the long journey from Buenos Aires.
The Argentinian transfer window has now closed, and Gutierrez will now leave St James’s Park in the summer when his contract expires.
Gutierrez shared a photograph of himself on a flight from London’s Heathrow Airport to Newcastle this morning.
The Argentina international told the Gazette of his keenness to play for United again last month.
Gutierrez said: “I have played in a World Cup, but if I play again for Newcastle then that will be the best moment of my career.”
Newcastle head coach John Carver and his staff will now assess his fitness ahead of Saturday’s game at Manchester City.