Former Liverpool star rules out shock move for ex-Sunderland and Newcastle United man

Newcastle United will send representatives to run the rule over European talent Efe Binici, reports in Turkey say.

Wednesday, 12th February 2020, 6:30 am
Updated Wednesday, 12th February 2020, 8:43 pm
Ki Sung-yueng was released by Newcastle United last month

According to Turkish-Football, scouts of the Magpies, Bournemouth and Watford plan to be in attendance when Goztepe under-19s take on Konyaspor next week.

The attacking midfielder is said to be in and around the first team at Goztepe but is yet to sign a professional contract.

Binici’s contract situation makes him “an attractive prospect” but any potential suitors would still be required to pay a development fee.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Meanwhile, former Premier League defender Richie De Laet has taken a swipe at Newcastle boss Steve Bruce.

De Laet, who worked with Bruce during his time at Aston Villa, claims the 59-year-old “wasn’t his cup of tea” before comparing him to Tony Pulis.

The Royal Antwerp told The Athletic: “It is a massive club but I never got going at Villa. The injury was a terrible time, then I couldn’t get into the side.

“Steve Bruce wasn’t my cup of tea. The football was similar to Tony Pulis but at least Tony had a plan.

“I remember Steve would throw the ball into the middle in training and say, ‘Let’s play’, like we were under-nines. It was crazy.”

Elsewhere, Brisbane Roar manager and ex-Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler has ruled out a swoop for free agent Ki Sung-yueng.

“I’m a realist,” Fowler said. “We can’t afford him and I don’t think anybody in the A-League could. I know he went to school here but we have to be realistic.”