FABRICIO Coloccini has committed his future to Newcastle United – and ended 18 months of speculation.
The club’s captain has long been linked with a move away from St James’s Park. But the 32-year-old has moved to end the speculation after discussions with United manager Alan Pardew and the club’s hierarchy.
Coloccini says that he WILL be back at the club next season.
And the news is a welcome lift for under-fire Pardew, whose side beat Cardiff City 3-0 at St James’s Park on Saturday to end a club-record run of six successive Premier League defeats.
Asked if he would stay at United, Coloccini said: “For sure. I’m going to be here.”
Coloccini asked to leave Newcastle in January last year and return to his native Argentina, where San Lorenzo were keen to sign him, because of what Pardew described at the time as a “personal issue”.
But the defender agreed to stay on after talks with the his manager and the club.
And Coloccini has now reiterated his commitment to United after coming through a “difficult” period off the pitch.
“I had personal problems,” said Coloccini. “Sometimes it’s tough. You have to decide between the problems and the work.
“Sometimes it’s too difficult. Now it’s finished, and next season I will be here. I’m looking forward to improving.”