Takeover talks between Mike Ashley and Amanda Staveley have restarted, according to a report.
Newcastle United owner Ashley broke off discussions with would-be buyer Staveley in January.
The financier hadn't come close to Ashley's £350million valuation of the club, which was put up for sale last October.
A source close to Ashley said at the time: “It’s only right to let the fans know that there is no deal on the table, or even under discussion, with Amanda Staveley.
“Attempts to reach a deal have proved to be exhaustive, frustrating and a complete waste of time.”
However, the Sunday MIrror claim that there have been "constructive talks" between Ashley and Staveley.
Newcastle moved 10 points clear of the Premier League's relegation zone after beating Leicester City 2-1 at the King Power Stadium on Saturday.
One sticking point in discussions had been the club's position in the table.
The report says Benitez would be rewarded with a new long-term contract if Staveley takes over the club, which is 10th in the league with six games left to play.
Reports earlier this year in the Observer claimed that Staveley is not a fund manager £28bn under her management.
Instead, the newspaper reported that Staveley’s bid has the backing of “four or five individuals in the Gulf, as yet unidentified”.
Newcastle, 17th in the Premier League, take on Manchester United at St James’s Park this afternoon.