Wing gift earns Seaham point against Jarrow

Have your say

SEAHAM Red Star and Jarrow Roofing braved the atrocious conditions and shared the points in last night’s Ebac Northern League Second Division game at Seaham Town Park, writes Malcolm Pratt.

The visitors, who moved into fifth place ahead of Norton and Stockton Ancients on goal difference, broke the deadlock on 41 minutes when Stuart Nicholson broke forward and Andy Appleby drove the ball into the far corner of the net past goalkeeper Shaun Newbrook.

Mark Collingwood’s side quickly levelled but it was a soft goal on Roofing’s part. A defensive blunder presented the simplest of chances for Lewis Wing and he easily fired into the empty net.

Late in the game, Roofing goalkeeper Andrew Hunter denied Adam Johnson twice and Wing. Seaham remain third-top, four points behind West Allotment Celtic.

In the First Division, West Auckland Town suffered a rare defeat when they crashed 5-1 to Ashington at Woodhorn Lane.

Three goals in 10 first-half minutes had the Colliers in total control and although West reduced the deficit on 56 minutes, they never seriously threatened to get back into the game.

Kyle Oliver opened the scoring on 29 minutes and his strike was quickly followed with goals from Andrew Johnson and Glen Taylor.

Stephen Richardson threw West a lifeline but the Colliers roared back and went nap as Johnson completed his hat-trick.

Morpeth Town jumped two places to eighth from bottom when they defeated Consett with a stoppage-time goal by Jordan Fry.

The Northumbrians went in front after just seven minutes courtesy of Stephen Anderson and although Luke Sullivan twice went close, it wasn’t until the 78th minute that substitute Aristote Guerin Lakonga restored parity.

Following their FA Carlsberg Vase heroics on Saturday, Whickham crashed out of the Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup when Tow Law Town coasted to a 4-1 victory.

Daniel Wilson, Shaun Ryder, Dean Thexton and Scott Thompson were their marksmen with Liam Barnett claiming a consolation for The Glebemen.

Durham City conceded two goals in the last four minutes making their exit from the Durham Challenge Cup against Spennymoor Town at New Ferens Park.

The Citizens led from the 22nd minute through Jack Walker, who advanced before firing a shot from 25 yards into the roof of the net.

It looked as if the one goal might book City’s place in the third round but on 86 minutes James Oates deflected a Liam Henderson cross into his own net and a minute from time Andrew Stephenson delivered a clinical finish for the winner.

Spennymoor now meet Gateshead at The Brewery field in the quarter final.

H Silksworth CW and Richmond Town ended goalless in the Wearside League.

In extremely difficult conditions, there were chances for both teams but the goalkeepers excelled.

Richmond’s Adam Cunningham kept his side level and his opposite number Joe Clayton was also in top form. When he was beaten once by Ben Darville, the effort was ruled out for offside.

Tonight’s Wearside League game between Harton and Westoe and Easington Colliery has been postponed because the ground is waterlogged.

Four games are scheduled in the ENL. Billingham Synthonia, whose Central Avenue ground has excellent drainage, expect their Division One game with Whitley Bay to go ahead but uncertainty surrounds the other three matches.

Dunston UTS are at home to Penrith, also in Division One while in the Second Division there is a derby on Tyneside between West Allotment Celtic and Heaton Stannington.

Brandon United’s ground will also have a pitch inspection ahead of the visit from North Shields in the Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup.