Win joy f0r Silksworth

Have your say

IT’S been a long time in coming, but Silksworth Rangers finally celebrated on Saturday with a Wearside League win at Annfield Plain, where the new management team of Mark McGinley and Dean Hannah took charge for the first time.

Glen Hargreave gave the Wearsiders a 37th-minute lead with a chip over the goalkeeper and, in the second period, a quickly-taken free-kick by Hannah struck the post and David Stevens drove in the rebound.

It was Silksworth’s first win since October 10 and they are now five points behind Annfield Plain after completing the double over the North West Durham side.

Ashbrooke Belford House were also happy after they went nap against Peterlee Town at Silksworth.

David Scott headed in on 19 minutes and Luke Olabode also found the target seven minutes later. At this stage, Belford were well on top and Steve Callum made it three before the interval.

The Newtowners reduced the deficit with a Michael Noble penalty, but the Wearsiders then went nap courtesy of Callum and Stephen Bogie. The game was into added time when Anthony Rogerson claimed a second goal for Peterlee.

Sunderland West End won a five-goal thriller at Leam Rangers.

Daley Clarke gave West End a dream start with his fifth-minute strike, but there was a double blow for the visitors on 21 minutes.

Anthony Thompson levelled and in the same incident goalkeeper Neil Bussey was injured and had to be replaced by Andrew Gartland.

Before the break, Jamie Fryett took advantage of a defensive mistake to restore the advantage to West End, who built up a two-goals cushion on 50 minutes thanks to Jonny Greening.

Soon afterwards, however, Andrew Hebron fired in a rebound after the ball had come back off the crossbar and from then on it was anyone’s game, but West End held on and remain fifth-top.

Jarrow are fourth after seeing off a strong challenge from Easington Colliery. The result was decided eight minutes from time when Grant Pressling side-footed a free kick by Andrew Wilkinson into the net past Colliers’ goalkeeper Graeme Pickering.

Boldon CA won the South Tyneside derby at Harton and Westoe by the odd goal in five. Adam Sharpe delivered a good finish on 20 minutes, but Harton hit back with a brace of goals from Stephen Telford.

Before the interval, Sharpe was again on target and midway during the second period completed the scoring and his hat-trick.

Coxhoe Athletic ended well beaten at Hartlepool, but, after conceding three goals, they scored twice to throw the outcome wide open.

Pools were coasting with strikes from David Thompson, Aaron Hopper and David Laight inside the opening 33 minutes.

On the stroke of half-time, Hopper conceded an own goal and, five minutes into the second period, John Cook raised the hopes of a Coxhoe comeback, but Pool finished strongly to take their tally to five through Laight and Adam Ward.

Sarjo Cham fired Kirkbymoorside in front, but Seaton Carew won easily with second-half goals from Dale Campion, Brian Linighan, Luke Naylor (penalty) and David Wilson.

With the two leading sides on cup duty, Richmond Town closed in with an eight-goal rout of Redcar Athletic. Liam Darville rifled a hat-trick with Callum Holbrook (pen), Chris Pattison, Adam Taylor, Mark Simms and Ben Darville also beating goalkeeper Adam Cunningham.

Prudhoe Town will meet Darlington Cleveland Bridge in the final of the Monkwearmouth Charity Cup after both sides produced shock semi-final successes.

Prudhoe were the under-dogs against table-topping Stockton Town but went through with a 94th-minute winner from Stephen Foster.

Stephen Roberts had given Stockton an early second-half lead and after Nathan Burrell and Jamie Henderson netted for Prudhoe, Adam Nicholson restored parity.

Fourth-from-bottom Darlington Cleveland Bridge sent second-top Willington crashing out at Hall Lane with goals by Daniel McLachlan and Lee Redpath.

James Seymour reduced the deficit, but Willington were unable to find an equaliser before the end.