West End on fire to maul Murton with six of the best

Ashbrooke Belford House (blue and white) take onSeaham Red Star Reserves in the Wearside League last weekend
Ashbrooke Belford House (blue and white) take onSeaham Red Star Reserves in the Wearside League last weekend
Have your say

Sunderland West End hit newcomers Murton for six to take an early lead in the Wearside League last night.

Following a 3-0 opening-day win over Richmond Town, they just about wrapped up the points when they scored three times in the opening 24 minutes at Ford Quarry.

Jordan Cook gave them a dream start with a superb volley on five minutes and two goals in three minutes just about killed off plucky Murton.

Jamie Fryatt headed past goalkeeper Dean Caris before Keiron Martin drove into the net.

Although the Colliers tightened up at the back, the floodgates opened again in the 64th minute when Barry Turton, who netted 38 times last season, made it four.

West End went nap with Chris Thompson’s strike and, just before the end, man-of-the-match Turton completed a comprehensive 6-0 victory.

While Anth Nelson’s side celebrated, new boys Seaham Red Star Reserves were reeling after slumping to a 7-0 defeat at Harton and Westoe CW.

On Saturday, the Star claimed a creditable draw away to Ashbrooke Belford House, but they were second best last night as Levi Collins (3), Ricky Brown, Shaun Carroll, Adam Smith and Shaun Steavens all hit the target for the South Tynesiders.

Both teams had a player sent off when Horden CW edged visitors Silksworth CW 2-0.

In the 40th minute, the visitors’ Michael McVay was shown a straight red card and, early in the second period, Michael Patterson broke the deadlock.

Horden’s Luke Naylor was then given a second yellow card, but his side coped better and Anth Flounders’ 75th-minute goal sealed victory.

Johnny Donnett and Johnny Quaill were Whitehaven’s scorers in the 2-1 victory at Ashbrooke Belford House.

Ashbrooke’s Mark Green had a penalty saved by Ian Studholme before Dominic Laws threw the Wearsiders a lifeline – but they were unable to claim an equaliser.

Spennymoor Town Reserves, who looked a useful side, eased to a 2-0 win at Wolviston.

Guy Willis headed in at the near post with only five minutes on the clock, and early in the second period Robert Thompson was also on the mark.

Stockton Town, who have won the championship in three successive seasons, belatedly started their title defence with a 2-0 win at home to Richmond Town. Kallum Hannah and Max Craggs were the marksmen.

Leam Rangers conceded four goals to Annfield Plain’s Jamie Henderson (2), Liam Radbourne and Stephen Wilson, before Johnny Hirst pulled a goal back in the second half.

Redcar Athletic, expected to challenge for honours, romped to a 5-1 win at Hartlepool courtesy of strikes from Michael Woodhouse (2), Sam Webster, Adam Preston and Andy Jennings.

Joe Osborne had levelled at 1-1, but his goal was to be Pools only success.

Boldon CA also enjoyed a good win, seeing off the challenge of Prudhoe Town with four goals, courtesy of James Pickering (2), Luke Patterson and Jack Lawton.

Substitute Sam Mannion responded for Prudhoe as Paul Mossa celebrated his first win in charge of CA.

Oliver Bone (pen), Brodie Simpson and John Murray earned Jarrow the points in a 3-2 victory at Cleator Moor Celtic, for whom Adam Meegan and Tom Mahon (penalty) netted.