West End maintain good form

Have your say

SUNDERLAND West End lost their second game of the season but since then they have been bang on form, as third-top Richmond Town found to their cost in the Monkwearmouth Charity Cup.

Micky Wharton gave the Wearsiders a perfect start, slotting home a rebound and early in the second period, Richmond’s Rory Atkinson was unfortunate to deflect the ball into his own net.

There was nothing lucky about West End’s third goal in the 85th minute as Adam McQuillan delivered a clinical shot across goalkeeper Adam Cunningham.

The visitors, who played the last 10 minutes with 10 men because they had used their substitutes, conceded a late goal to Richard Thompson but by then the tie was already in the bag.

A 15th-minute header by Anthony Rathbone proved sufficient for Peterlee Town at Wolviston but Easington Colliery crashed out to Boldon CA whose matchwinners were Andrew Quinn, Adam Sharp and Shaun Heads.

Stephen Foster’s 25th-minute effort earned Prudhoe Town their place in the next round at the expense of Jarrow, whose form has dipped following a good start to the season.

The tie between Silksworth Rangers and Annfield Plain was abandoned after an hour following an injury to Silksworth’s Gary Tyzack. At this stage the Plain led with strikes from Liam Kai (2) and Dixon Vartson. Paul Muir netted for Rangers.

Darlington Cleveland Bridge won a nine-goals thriller at Kirkbymoorside where Daniel McLachlan (2), Matthew Bower (og), David Hookway (pen) and Christian Holliday were the marksmen for the victors.

Uhi Ehima, Chris Rhodes, Sarjo Cham (pen) and Bower, who scored at both ends, kept the Yorkshiremen in the tie until the final whistle.

A last-minute goal by Adam Ward secured Hartlepool’s passage in the next stage of the Sunderland Shipowners’ Cup.

Seaton Carew led in the local derby courtesy of David Wilson before Daniel Lockwood restored parity with a 70th-minute penalty to set up a dramatic finale.

The three league fixtures all ended in an identical 2-0 scoreline.

Ashbrooke Belford House lost to Gateshead Leam Rangers who went in front on two minutes courtesy of Liam Jobson but it was not until the 92nd minute that Dale Bell made certain of the points.

Scott Meehan and Tom Atkinson were Stockton Town’s matchwinners at Coxhoe Athletic who had Vinny Gash sent off after an hour. Stockton’s Tony Johnson was also red-carded in the 70th minute.

Following an indifferent start to the season, Redcar Athletic are now up to fourth following victory at Cleator Moor Celtic with a brace of goals from Stephen Thompson.