West End boys take points in local derby

editorial image
Have your say

SUNDERLAND West End won the Wearside bragging rights when they enjoyed a 4-1 romp over Ashbrooke Belford House in last night’s Wearside League game at Quarry View.

Ashbrooke faced an uphill battle once they conceded goals to Kevin McCluskey and Lee Burrell inside the opening 20 minutes but they battled back and Stephen Bogie halved the deficit in the 65th minute.

West End though finished strongly and after Keiran Martin restored a two-goals cushion, Barry Turton made the game safe with his side’s fourth goal eight minutes from time.

Silksworth CW left it late defeating Whitehaven by the odd goal in three. Dan Gullen gave the Cumbrians a 25th minute lead with a lovely dipping shot but within a minute Andrew Place fired past goalkeeper Ian Studholme for the equaliser.

With just 10 minutes left on the clock, Mark Robinson drove into the net for Silksworth’s winner.

Easington Colliery extended their winning start when they came from behind to defeat Jarrow 3-2 on South Tyneside.

Peter Kane struck twice in the first 10 minutes to leave Paul Frame’s side with a formidable challenge.

With only 10 minutes remaining, a first defeat was on the cards but after Michael Patterson reduced the deficit, David Paul levelled from the penalty spot and in the 89th minute Patterson drove home the winner.

Horden CW found the going difficult at Stockton Town, who have set their stall out for a third successive championship.

Adam Nicholson was an early scorer for the Teessiders but the Colliers hit back for Peter Crawford to level.

In the second half however, Stockton took over and three goals flowed from Nicholson, Max Craggs and Chris Stockton.

A Ross Morrow penalty earned Coxhoe Athletic a point at Wolviston, who had gone in front courtesy of Karl Barry. After equalising on 55 minutes, Coxhoe were well on top but were unable to again beat Wolviston’s outstanding goalkeeper Chris Davidson, who made four excellent saves.

Johnny Hirst and a deflected own goal by Phil Turner proved sufficient for Leam Rangers at home to Boldon CA for whom Jonathan Matthews replied following a free-kick.

Leigh Dunn and Rob McDowell led Cleator Moor Celtic to victory at Harton and Westoe who failed to find the net and only two goals were scored at Annfield Plain, who shared the points with Prudhoe Town. Mark Bailes struck for the visitors with Aaron Reynolds on the mark direct from the corner flag for Plain’s last minute equaliser.

Michael Woodhouse and Adam Preston both scored twice in Redcar Athletic’s 4-1 win at Hartlepool whose only success was credited to David Laight.

Luke Naylor, Craig Hutchinson, Lee Jones and Shaun Ross steered Seaton Carew to a 4-2 success at Richmond Town whose marksmen were Ben Holmes and Andrew Davison.