West End bounce back in more ways than one

Have your say

SUNDERLAND West End, disappointed at losing to Boldon CA on Monday, bounced back to form when they made it two wins out of three, defeating Gateshead Leam Rangers 3-1 in last night’s Wearside League programme.

The Tynesiders had the early incentive of a goal from Joe Adams who was left one on one with goalkeeper Scott Young.

Michael Wharton quickly equalised, lobbing keeper Dean Saunders but it was not until the late stages and the introduction of David Keighley as a substitute that the Wearsiders clinched victory.

Keighley scored with his very first touch of the ball and 10 minutes from time he was again on target.

Easington Colliery, relegated from the Ebac Northern League last season, suffered a third consecutive defeat as Darlington Cleveland Bridge went nap.

Michael Carter rifled a hat-trick with Michael Hillary and an own goal adding to the woes of the Colliers who managed only two replies from Ryan Boardman and Ian Hope.

Peterlee Town have also lost all three matches but they improved at Willington where they went down by only the odd goal.

Martin Hope headed them in front and the Newtowners held the lead for 25 minutes but then conceded twice in the space of a minute.

Mark Foster beat goalkeeper Adam Heath with a rising shot and almost immediately Reece Marshall beat the offside trap to clinch the winning goal.

Ashbrooke Belford House shared the points at Boldon CA for whom Andrew Hall was an early marksman. Within four minutes, however, Martin Deacon beat CA goalkeeper Alan Grenning for the equaliser.

A 100-plus crowd was treated to an exciting game at Silksworth Rangers which newcomers Harton and Westoe won by the odd goal in five.

Harton, with three wins under their belts, made the perfect start with strikes from Keagan McDermott and Benjamin Cooper.

James Alston cut the deficit and when Leon Symonds levelled on 58 minutes, Rangers sensed they were in the driving seat.

Shortly afterwards, the Wearsiders suffered a double blow. Dean Hannah was sent off for a professional foul and Stephen Graham fired in the resultant penalty for the winner.

Jarrow lead the table following three consecutive victories but after racking up nine goals in their two previous games, they were taken to the wire by Prudhoe Town.

The only goal came after 32 minutes as Brian Johnson met a cross and his diving header left Prudhoe goalkeeper Mark Fish helpless.

Redcar Athletic, who narrowly missed out on promotion to the Ebac Northern League last season, have taken just one point from their opening three fixtures.

Kirkbymoorside just had the edge with Jordan Rivis’ 44th-minute goal separating the teams. Craig Skelton had the chance to equalise but his penalty was saved by Adam Magson.

Annfield Plain won their first game away from home but have suffered defeat in each of the two matches played at Derwent Park. Vinny Gash and Stephen Ferguson were Coxhoe Athletic’s heroes to earn their side a fourth point from two games.

After establishing a two-goals lead courtesy of Ben Darville and Adam Taylor, Richmond Town were pegged back by Hartlepool for whom Paul Moss and Daniel Lockwood netted.

Josh Sutcliffe’s goal was enough for Stockton Town against 10-man Wolviston who had Nathan Summersgill sent off while Cleator Moor Celtic easily defeated Seaton Carew as Scott Redhead and Leigh Dunn (2) netted.