Wearside League: Owens at the double as Belford edge seven-goal Prudhoe thriller

Boldon CA (blue) threaten the Sunderland West End defence
Boldon CA (blue) threaten the Sunderland West End defence
Have your say

Ashbrooke Belford House had their work cut out before seeing off second-bottom Prudhoe Town in a seven-goal thriller on Saturday.

Lee Owens (2), Iain Potts and Kevin Humble were the marksmen as eighth-placed Belford claimed a 4-3 victory, their eight win of the season.

Gary Wanless (2) and Craig Lawler kept Prudhoe in the game until the final whistle.

Sunderland West End are third, four points adrift of table-topping Stockton having played the same number of fixtures.

Luke Bell headed Anth Nelson’s men in front at home to Boldon CA and he was again on target to clinch a 2-0 win at Ford Quarry, beating goalkeeper James Lone from outside the penalty area.

West End have won 11 of their 14 league games.

David Stephens boosted Sean Butler’s Silksworth CW with an excellent finish in Cumbria, but hosts Cleator Moor Celtic claimed all three points with two goals in three second-half minutes from Leigh Dunn (penalty) and Bradley Rooney.

Seaham Red Star Reserves continue to find the going difficult in their first season in the league.

They were rocked by a 8-0 blast by Spennymoor Town Reserves when no fewer than seven players beat goalkeeper Chay Adamson.

Ryan Cummings bagged a brace for Moors, with Robert Thompson, James Leeds, Connor Dunlavey, Lee Moore, Neil Charlton and Reece Porter also on target.

Red Star remain third-bottom and neighbours Murton, who also joined the league this year, prop up the table.

They have taken just one point from 17 games but produced a much-improved, never-say-die performance at Hartlepool, despite losing 2-0.

Fourth-top Pool scored twice in the opening half, through Mattie Gardiner and Alex Marshall.

Their lead remained tenuous and, with Murton goalkeeper Aidan Vout making several excellent saves, his side was always in with a chance.

Stockton Town are increasingly looking a good bet to clinch the championship for a fourth consecutive season. They blitzed Annfield Plain 6-0, thanks to Kallum Hannah (2), Adam Nicholson (2), Tony Johnson and Chris Stockton.

The Teessiders, who have a one-point lead on Redcar Athletic, with three games in hand, have scored 25 times in the last four games.

Horden CW couldn’t halt Redcar’s title challenge, despite Chris Tarn giving them an early advantage. He was their only scorer, however, and Redcar went nap with a Sam Webster hat-trick and a brace from James Swan.

It looked all over for Jarrow when they trailed Whitehaven 3-0 at the interval, but they staged a magnificent second-half rally and were leading 4-3 until the last three minutes.

Connor Hamell (2) and Greg Quayle had the Cumbrians well on top, but Brodie Simpson (2), Peter Kane and Jonathan Hall led Jarrow’s fightback. In the 87th minute, however, Quayle scrambled home to earn Whitehaven a 4-4 draw.

Harton and Westoe CW outplayed Wolviston and could have won by a much bigger margin than 3-0. Stephen Ramsey (2) and Marc Newby were the marksmen.

Leam Rangers lost 4-1 to Richmond Town.

Mark Simms’ brace had the Yorkshire side two up on the hour mark, before the hosts had Johnny Hirst sent off, but Nathan Bailey reduced the arrears. Richmond, though, finished strongly and late efforts from Mikey Elliott and Sam Pickersgill clinched a 4-1 success.