Wearside League: Murton Tarn apart as ruthless Chris inspires six of the best

Murton (red) take on Horden CW. Picture by Tom Banks
Murton (red) take on Horden CW. Picture by Tom Banks
Have your say

There’s still no respite for Murton, who were hit for six by Horden CW in Saturday’s East Durham derby.

The home side had their backs to the wall from the fifth minute when Chris Tarn fired past goalkeeper Aidan Vout, and Brian Maxwell’s men never looked like staging a comeback.

Tarn again struck midway through the opening period and Murton’s hopes just about ended as John Bowes made it 3-0 immediately after the break.

Andrew Ross added a fourth goal after an hour, then Bowes scored his second of the afternoon and, just before the end, Tarn completed a hat-trick.

Murton remain bottom with just three points from 23 games. The newcomers have now conceded 95 goals and look certain to become the first team to leak a three-figure total.

Ashbrooke Belford House succumbed to Spennymoor Town Reserves, who leapfrogged the Wearsiders into sixth place.

There was little between the sides at Silksworth until Ashbrooke conceded twice just before the interval.

Stephen McKenna broke the deadlock, driving the ball wide of goalkeeper Brett Wilson, who was beaten again on 44 minutes with a clinical finish from Ross Morrow.

Ashbrooke tightened up at the back during the second period and went close to reducing the two-goal deficit, but Moors sealed victory with another good effort from Morrow, seven minutes from the end.

Stockton Town are now only a couple of points behind leaders Redcar Athletic, with four games in hand, after they blitzed Jarrow 8-1.

Stephen Roberts, Kallum Hannah, Chris Stockton and Matthew Garbutt had the game won by half-time and, in the second period, Adam Nicholson and Ben Priestley each bagged a brace.

Jarrow trailed by eight goals before Alexander Bone claimed a late consolation.

Stockton are the highest scorers, with 81 goals from 17 games, and look a good bet to win the championship for a fourth consecutive season.

Hartlepool missed the chance to go third when they lost by the odd goal in three to Richmond Town.

Ashley Clark had an effort cleared off the Richmond goal-line and goalkeeper Stephen Walker then denied Pool with two outstanding saves.

Richmond, though, went ahead on 30 minutes. Although keeper Gary Fleetham got both hands to the ball, he could not keep out a powerful shot by Mike Layfield.

Early in the second half, the home side levelled with a free-kick from Clark, but, nine minutes later, Richmond scored the winning goal, Sam Joyce forcing the ball home in a goalmouth scramble.

Seaham Red Star Reserves finally overcame Wolviston to reach the Durham County FA Trophy semi-finals.

It was the third attempt to stage the game, which was only decided by a penalty shoot-out.

Fortunes ebbed and flowed throughout the 120 minutes at Seaham Town Park, with Mark Ruddick (3) and Matthew Maynard, with a dramatic 120th-minute equaliser which made the score 4-4, on target for Star.

Andrew Maguire, with a brace, Stephen Baker and Junior Masandi replied for Wolviston, who were only once behind.

In the semi-finals, Seaham will be away to Durham Alliance Combination League high-fliers Coundon & Leeholme, while holders Silksworth CW or Stockton West End, whose quarter-final has been scheduled for January 2, will host Hartlepool in the other tie.

Two league fixtures were postponed because of waterlogged pitches. Sunderland West End’s visit to Prudhoe Town was called off, as was the game between Boldon CA and Redcar Athletic.

The league now takes a break and will resume on Saturday, January 2.