Wearside League: Murton suffer late heartache as Prudhoe snatch victory in bottom-two battle

Ashbrooke Belford House (light blue and white) battle Silksworth CW
Ashbrooke Belford House (light blue and white) battle Silksworth CW
Have your say

It was so near, and yet so far for Murton, who came within minutes of claiming a first win of the season when they hosted rival strugglers Prudhoe Town on Saturday.

The East Durham side made a dream start, with Haydn Pace beating visiting keeper Ryan Chamberlain with barely a minute gone.

One-time Sunderland youth-teamer Jack Wanless levelled on 20 minutes, but, within five minutes, Murton, who scored only 14 times in their first 19 games, again celebrated.

Corey Fenwick was the marksman this time and when Prudhoe were reduced to 10 men midway during the second half, a maiden victory for Murton was a distinct possibility.

But, in the last 10 minutes, they were left heartbroken, conceding twice to Wanless and Stephen Foster and it was Prudhoe who clinched three crucial points with a 3-2 win, which lifted them out of the bottom two.

The Wearside derby went firmly in favour of Silksworth CW – but it wasn’t until the last few minutes that they made certain of victory over Ashbrooke Belford House.

Following a goalless opening half, Michael Brunning broke the deadlock for Sean Butler’s on-song Silksworth.

It remained nip and tuck and, so long as there was only one goal between the teams, Belford were in with a chance.

But two minutes from the end, Brunning struck again to double the lead. Four minutes into stoppage time, Michael Robinson put the icing on the cake of a 3-0 victory for the Colliers.

Seaham Red Star Reserves remain fourth-bottom but they eased their re-election fears with a 5-3 success over Jarrow at Perth Green.

Fortunes ebbed and flowed throughout the game. Jack Burrell’s 30-yard free-kick inspired the hosts, but Red Star quickly turned the tables, courtesy of David Paul – available after Easington Colliery’s Northern League postponement – and Kyle Bell.

Just before the half-time whistle, Nick Payne equalised, but once again Seaham went in front with Paul’s second goal of the afternoon.

Jarrow hit back to make it 3-3 through Darren Morton and, with only 10 minutes remaining, both sides fancied their chances of winning.

It was Seaham who came out on top. The ever-dangerous Paul completed a hat-trick and, a minute later, substitute James Davies made it five for the visitors.

Stockton Town are now only a couple of points behind leaders Redcar Athletic, with four games in hand, following their thrilling 4-3 victory against Spennymoor Town Reserves at Coxhoe.

Ross Morrow was an early marksman for Moors and, after Stephen Roberts levelled, Stockton had Tom Coulthard sent off in the 28th minute.

Morrow, though, missed the resultant penalty and it was Stockton who went in ahead with Max Craggs’ 44th-minute effort.

Ten-man Stockton then made it 4-1 through Roberts and Kallum Hannah, but Moors roared back with Chris Baxter and Morrow making the final score 4-3.

Annfield Plain were hit by an 11-goal blitz at Hartlepool, whose matchwinners were Ashley Turnbull (4), Alex Marshall (3), Terry Wilkinson (2) and 17-year old John Stephen (2). Roland Lee scored a consolation.

Boldon CA reached the semi-final of the Shipowners’ Cup with a 2-0 victory at Sunderland West End.

Paul Chow, who normally plays for Jarrow Roofing, scored both goals to sink the Ford Quarry men.

Wolviston staged their Durham Trophy first round tie at the third attempt and saw off Gateshead Rutherford with a Ryan Hebb strike.