Wearside League: Murton make point, but newcomers so close to first win

Sunderland West End (red/white) take on Gateshead Reserves  at Ford Quarry on Saturday
Sunderland West End (red/white) take on Gateshead Reserves at Ford Quarry on Saturday
Have your say

Life has not been easy for Murton during their first season in the Wearside League, but they managed to claim only their second point of the season on Saturday, holding Annfield Plain to a 2-2 draw at Derwent Park.

When Jake Hall fired the home side into a 40th-minute lead, Murton perhaps feared that another defeat was on the cards, but, by early in the second period, they enjoyed the rare luxury of being ahead.

Daniel Bedding equalised and an own goal raised their hopes of securing a first win, but Michael Brown levelled five minutes from the end to ensure the draw.

Peter Crawford was an early marksman for Horden CW, but by the 27th minute visitors Boldon CA were 3-1 up thanks to Shaun Graham, Adam Bell and David Conroy.

Just before the interval, Crawford was again on target to revive Horden and, 13 minutes from time, Chris Tarn levelled to make the final score 3-3.

Silksworth CW were another side to lead 3-1 only to be pegged back to 3-3 by visitors Spennymoor Town Reserves.

Jack Murphy gave the Wearsiders a dream start with his goal after just three minutes and, after Ross Morrow restored parity, the Colliers went in at the interval two goals to the good following a double strike by Adam Storey.

A Morrow penalty threw Spennymoor a second-half lifeline and he completed a hat-trick in the 73rd minute to set up an exciting finale.

A strong second-half performance earned Ashbrooke Belford House a 4-2 victory at Richmond Town.

Kevin Humble netted twice for Ashbrooke in the opening perio,d when Mark Simms struck Richmond’s two goals.

After the break, however, Ashbrooke got on top and their pressure was rewarded with strikes by Mason Burton and Nathan Burrell.

Prudhoe Town are second-bottom. Despite scoring four goals, courtesy of Aaron Fletcher, Michael Rankin, Josh Brooks and Derek Waters (pen), they succumbed to Cleator Moor, who managed five from Bradley Rooney (2), Adam Telfer, Liam Johnson and Josh Charlton.

Seaham Red Star Reserves remain third from the basement after losing 3-2 at Whitehaven, whose marksmen were Connor Hammell, with a brace, and Craig Robson. Star scored first through Matthew Mustard and last when Wes Smith netted.

Redcar Athletic are the new leaders. Leam Rangers made a dream start at home to the Teessiders, courtesy of Nicky Langston’s first-minute goal, but the visitors quickly took charge and five goals flowed from Andy Jennings, with a hat-trick, Sam Webster and Joe Bennett.

Stockton Town, who were without a fixture, dropped back to second place, while Hartlepool are up to third.

Sam Cook’s double had them comfortable at Jarrow, but it was all to play for when Grant Pressling halved the deficit on 53 minutes.

Ashley Clark restored Pool’s two-goal cushion, only for Pressling to strike again after an hour. Pool, though, held on for the 3-2 victory and the climb to third.