Wearside League: Last-gasp Ashbrooke Belford House rally for thrilling victory

Silksworth CW (red) battle Redcar Athletic on Saturday. Picture by Kevin Brady
Silksworth CW (red) battle Redcar Athletic on Saturday. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

Ashbrooke Belford House were twice two goals behind at Wolviston but clinched a dramatic 4-3 victory with a winner three minutes into stoppage time on Saturday.

Andrew Blackburn bagged a brace for Wolvison, before David Scott halved the deficit. Right on the stroke of half-time, however, Anthony McArdle netted and the Wearsiders again trailed by a couple of goals.

Jordan Birnie led a second-half fightback and when Scott scored his second goal to level the scores at 3-3, Ashbrooke sensed they were in with a chance of taking all three points.

It wasn’t until three minutes into added time that Michael Young drove past goalkeeper Jonathan McLone and the win – only Ashbrooke’s fifth in 14 attempts, lifted them to eighth-bottom spot.

Murton remain at the basement after being hit for six by Spennymoor Town Reserves, whose marksmen were Ross Morrow (2), Robert Thompson (2), Connor Dunlavey and Josh Clark.

Seaham Red Star are second bottom following a 2-1 defeat at Leam Rangers, who went in front with a free-kick by Johnny Hurst.

Tommy Anderson threw Red Star a lifeline, but within seven minutes Leam were back in front, courtesy of David Stephenson.

Silksworth CW are also in the bottom six. They finally succumbed to leaders Redcar Athletic, who won a seven-goal thriller 4-3 when Michael Woodhouse scored in injury time.

Lewis Wood and Andrew Jennings fired the Seasiders into a two-goal lead by the fourth minute, but the Colliers battled back gamely and, after Mark Robinson reduced the arrears, Luke Woodall’s own goal levelled it up.

Jennings made it 3-2 in Redcar’s favour, but almost immediately Matthew Bray restored parity and a draw looked the likely outcome until Silksworth conceded in the 93rd minute.

Horden CW were comfortable 4-1 winners at Annfield Plain eventually, but it wasn’t all plain sailing.

Andrew Lonsdale and Peter Henderson put them two goals up at the halfway stage, but when Michael Brown netted at the other end on 57 minutes, it was all to play for.

Late on, Henderson struck twice to complete a hat-trick for the Colliers.

Boldon CA twice came from behind to claim a point in a 2-2 draw at Cleator Moor Celtic, for whom Leigh Dunn scored both goals. Josh Halton and Alex Kempster replied.

Alex Marshall’s early strike was cancelled out by Jack Hunter before Hartlepool went on to beat Whitehaven 3-1. They were awarded two penalties in the space of a minute. In the 77th minute, Marshall’s spot-kick was saved by goalkeeper Ian Studholme, who then tripped Marshall as he went for the rebound.

The foul resulted in a second penalty and this time Marshall made no mistake. Just before the end, a fine solo effort by Luke Hogan sealed all three points for Pools.

A stoic second-half defensive performance earned lowly Prudhoe Town a point at Richmond Town, who led from the 11th minute through Mark Simms before Jack Wanless equalised.

Sunderland West End enjoyed a comfortable passage into the first round of the Sunderland Shipowners’ Cup with a 3-0 victory at Harton and Westoe CW.

George McCain (2) and Jamie Fryatt beat goalkeeper Andy Hunter to confirm the Ford Quarry men’s superiority.

Holders Stockton Town reached the second round when they coasted to a 4-0 win against Jarrow.

Max Craggs, with a brace and Adam Nicholson just about had the tie sewn up by the 38th minute. Tony Johnson completed a comprehensive victory a minute from time.