Wearside League: Keiron doubles up to KO Belford braves

Sunderland West End (red/white) take on Ashbrooke Belford House at Ford Quarry on Saturday. Picture by Kevin Brady
Sunderland West End (red/white) take on Ashbrooke Belford House at Ford Quarry on Saturday. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

Sunderland West End remain on course for a possible league and cup double after defeating local rivals Ashbrooke Belford House in a keenly-contested League Cup tie at Ford Quarry on Saturday.

It was Ashbrooke who struck first when Jordan Birnie delivered a good finish past goalkeeper Neal Bussey from just outside the penalty area.

The visitors held the lead until just before the hour mark, when Keiron Martin took the ball around goalkeeper Brett Wilson and tapped it into an empty net.

It remained nip and tuck, but Anth Nelson’s West End came out on top 3-1, with two goals in the final 13 minutes.

Barry Turton drove home the crucial second goal and, just before the end, Martin was again on target to end any hopes Ashbrooke harboured of taking the first round tie into extra time.

Silksworth CW went out to Hartlepool, who won easier than the 3-2 scoreline might suggest.

The Colliers made a dream start, with player manager Michael McVay heading his side in front with barely a minute gone.

Silksworth sustained the narrow advantage for the best part of an hour, but Pool had a very good last 30 minutes and scored three times courtesy of Rhys Tapner, Luke Larkin and Andrew Blackburn.

The tie was into the last minute when James Cook claimed a second consolation for the hosts.

Boldon CA also came from behind to see off a spirited challenge by lowly Annfield Plain, who were a goal ahead until the final 12 minutes.

Adam Bell was a first-half marksman for the South Tynesiders, but Annfield belied their position and stormed 2-1 up through Liam Dempsey and Liam Rathbone.

With the clock ticking down, an upset was on the cards, but, following James Pickering’s 78th minute equaliser, he grabbed the winner at 3-2 two minutes later.

Horden CW’s off-the-field problems are clearly not affecting the players and the Colliers made it three wins on the bounce, defeating Harton and Westoe 5-2 away in the league, keeping them fourth-top.

Chris Tarn bagged a brace, with Shaun Fisk, Dan Flounders and Robbie Taylor taking Horden’s total to five. Shaun Carroll and Shaun Reay replied.

Murton are still without a win after going down 5-1 to Richmond Town.

Michael Gunnell (2), Sam Joyce (2) and Mark Simms netted, with Kyle Carr Murton’s only marksman.

Wolviston, whose fixture with Jarrow was the only one to be called off, remain second-bottom, with Seaham Red Star Reserves immediately above them.

The Star suffered a three-goal defeat at home to sixth-bottom Whitehaven, for whom Greg Quayle, Nicholas Holden and Nathan Dryden scored.

At the top, Stockton Town are now only four points adrift of leaders Redcar Athletic, with five games in hand.

They thumped lowly Prudhoe Town 5-1 as the goals rained in from Chris Stockton (2), Stephen Roberts, Joe Scaife-Wheatley and Kallum Hannah. Stephen Foster raised Prudhoe’s hopes when he equalised, but his goal was all the visitors could muster.

At this stage, Sunderland West End look the best bet to challenge Stockton for the championship. They are six points behind their rivals, having played two fewer games.

Glen Taylor and Stephen Capper eased Spennymoor Town Reserves to a 2-1 victory over Leam Rangers, who whom Jonathan Hirst levelled from the penalty spot.

Redcar Athletic reached the third round of the Shipowners’ Cup by defeating Cleator Moor Celtic in Cumbria.

It was a close call at 3-2 even though they led through Andrew Jennings and Chris Atkinson. Leigh Dunn’s brace threw the result wide open, but Redcar clinched victory with a second goal by Jennings in the 93rd minute.