Wearside League: Keiron doubles up as West End outgun battling Murton

Murton (red) battle in vain against Sunderland West End. Picture by Tim Richardson
Murton (red) battle in vain against Sunderland West End. Picture by Tim Richardson
Have your say

Sunderland West End moved to within five points of second-placed Stockton Town when they comfortably defeated bottom-of-the-table Murton 5-0 on Saturday.

The Wearsiders went ahead with just 15 minutes gone, when Lee Smith drove past goalkeeper Aidan Vout, who was in for a busy afternoon.

He was beaten again by Keiron Martin before the interval and, by the 55th minute, any hopes Murton harboured of saving the game almost ended.

Barry Turton rifled a brace in the space of six minutes and, just before the end, Anth Nelson’s men went nap as Martin scored his second goal.

Stockton’s scheduled match at Silksworth CW was postponed.

Leaders Redcar Athletic maintained a 10-point lead over West End when they reached double figures at home to Seaham Red Star Reserves.

There was just no stopping the Seasiders – and Andy Jennings in particular.

The goalscoring predator scored the first five goals, although Redcar managed only two in the opening half.

After the break, it was one-way traffic. Michael Woodhouse hit a hat-trick and Matthew Dunford (2) completed a comprehensive 10-0 victory as Redcar took their goal tally for the season to 110.

Horden CW had their biggest gate in years for what could have been the last game they will play at Welfare Park.

They have been issued with an eviction notice but are hopeful an agreement can be reached with the Parish Council whom they will meet on March 1.

Almost 200 spectators turned up to show their support and were rewarded as the Colliers eased past Jarrow to a 3-1 victory.

Chris Tarn fired past goalkeeper Lee Burrell from just outside the penalty area to give the home side an interval advantage. Early in the second period, Dan Flounders headed in a corner from Robbie Taylor to make it 2-0.

With 10 minutes remaining, Taylor was again the provider for Flounders to add a third goal and, although Stephen Graham reduced Jarrow’s arrears near the end, it was Horden who celebrated.

Ashbrooke Belford House conceded a two-goal lead and were held to a draw at Harton and Westoe CW.

The Wearsiders could hardly have made a better start, taking a third-minute lead as Mark Green drove wide of goalkeeper Chris Smith.

Corey Steele doubled the advantage on 22 minutes with a clinical finish, but Belford missed the chance to perhaps wrap up the game when Nathan Burrell failed to convert a 32nd-minute penalty.

Even so, with only 10 minutes remaining it looked as if Ashbrooke would still come out on top, but, on 80 minutes, Shaun Carroll halved the deficit.

In the very last minute, Shaun Reay equalised.

Hartlepool remain fourth despite succumbing 4-3 to a resurgent Boldon CA.

Shaun Graham was an early marksman for the visitors before Boldon suffered a double whammy on 14 minutes as Aaron Williams was sent off and Alex Marshall levelled from the penalty spot.

Despite being reduced to 10 men, Boldon went 3-1 up courtesy of Alex Kempster and Adam Bell.

Play swung quickly from end to end and Andy Blackburn’s 66th-minute strike put Pool back in the game, but they then went 4-2 down to James Pickering’s strike before John Stephenson made the final score 4-3.

In added time, Pool’s Joe Osborne was shown a second yellow card.

Despite taking the lead courtesy of Ryan Hebb, second-bottom Wolviston succumbed to Richmond Town.

The game turned in the space of three minutes when Sam Joyce and Michael Elliott netted and, just before the end, Kalumn Holbrook wrapped up a 3-1 win for the Yorkshiremen.

Annfield Plain went down at home to Whitehaven in a bottom-six clash.

Greg Quayle was a first-half scorer for the Cumbrians and. after Colin Snailham restored parity, the visitors secured a 2-1 victory with a late strike from Liam Stamp.

Prudhoe Town’s 16-year-old goalkeeper, Shaun Green, was taken to hospital and Michael Rankin took over against Leam Rangers.

He kept a clean sheet and Aaron Fletcher (2) and Liam Henderson earned Prudhoe a fine 3-0 victory.

Fortunately, Green’s injury was not serious.