Wearside League: Hodgson and Catcheside steer West End past born-again Horden in Trophy tie

Sunderland West End (red and white stripes) battle against Horden CW in their Durham County FA Trophy tie.
Sunderland West End (red and white stripes) battle against Horden CW in their Durham County FA Trophy tie.
Have your say

Sunderland West End had to fight all the way to secure narrow progress in the Durham County Trophy first round.

They survived a second-half fightback from rejuvenated visitors Horden CW to squeeze home 2-1 at the Ford Quarry Complex.

West End went in at half-time two goals to the good, though Callum Hodgson’s header after 13 minutes and a Mark Catcheside penalty, just before the break.

Horden – who had scored six goals in each of their last two matches – rallied in the second half, and they ensured a nervous finale for the Wearsiders when Kieran Voss scored with two minutes to go, but West End held on for the win.

Ashbrooke Belford House were more comfortable victors, defeating visitors Harton & Westoe 3-0 at Silksworth.

Josh Farquhar opened the scoring after a quarter of an hour, when he neatly finished off a right-wing cross.

It was 2-0 when Jordan Stewart scored at the back post following a corner and the game was all over on 80 minutes, when Steven Bogie rounded goalkeeper Kevin Garrick to score the Wearsiders’ killer third goal.

Boldon CA won 2-1 at home to Northern Alliance outfit Gateshead Rutherford after an early shock.

The visitors scored first on 10 minutes, as Danny Spoors shot beat goalkeeper Brett Wilson.

But Boldon needed only four minutes to equalise, thanks to a penalty by Adam Bell, and Paul Mossa’s men won the game with 10 minutes to go, when recent signing Adam Drysdale headed home past goalkeeper Richard Hindrick.

South Shields Reserves eased past Birtley Town, beating their Northern Alliance opponents 4-0.

Matthew Davidson rounded keeper Daniel Lister to make the breakthrough after 19 minutes and they doubled their lead when Johnny Bainbridge headed home after 40 minutes.

Birtley’s chances of a revival were rocked when Martin Guy was sent off, as he brought the last man down on 44 minutes and received a straight red card.

Two further goals in eight second-half minutes, netted by Curtis Richardson and David Foley, made the game safe for Shields.

In a depleted TWR Bifolds Wearside League programme, Silksworth CW missed the chance to move into third place when they drew 1-1 at Annfield Plain.

However, they did take the lead on 70 minutes when Adam Storey fired home from 10 yards, but Plain fought back and equalised through Daniel Walker five minutes later.

Seaham Red Star Reserves went down 6-1 at Redcar Athletic, who climbed into second place as a result.

Redcar went in front after 27 minutes when a neat Chris Bivens header found the net and they doubled their lead after 55 minutes, when David Abel’s bullet header gave goalkeeper Chay Adamson no chance.

It was three after 59 minutes, when Andy Jennings scored from 25 yards out after a neat turn, but the visitors pulled one back through Michael Cook after good work by Michael Bulmer.

Jennings made it 4-1 from the penalty spot on 74 minutes and nine minutes later, he completed his hat-trick with a simple header.

Jennings then added his fourth in injury time, with a superb header from a Joe Bennett cross.

Hartlepool leapfrogged opponents Coxhoe Athletic after a comfortable 3-0 home win.

Jamie Tumilty opened the scoring with a close-range shot on the hour and they doubled their lead after 68 minutes, when substitute Andy Blackburn fired a 25-yarder past goalkeeper David Atkinson.

It was three after 74 minutes, when Tumilty scored his second from the penalty spot.

Leam Rangers were 3-1 winners at home to Stokesley SC. Gordon Hutchinson scored from an acute angle after just two minutes.

Stokesley keeper Dean Hudson was then sent off after 12 minutes for handling outside the penalty area.

It remained 1-0 until just before the hour, when Stephen Edwards went on a run and fireD a powerful 25-yard shot past substitute keeper Jonathan Kinchin, to make it 2-0.

Stokesley did well to pull a goal back when Ryan Rivers slotted home, but Leam sealed the points on 81 minutes, when Anthony Huddard slid the ball home.

In the Total Sport Alan Hood Charity Cup, Richmond Town travelled to Windscale and came away with a 1-0 win, thanks to Callum Holbrook’s 52nd minute goal, following a scramble in the box.

Cleator Moor Celtic had a resounding 5-1 win at Wolviston in the TWR Shipowners Cup. Adam Meagan, Tom Malone, Callum Jackman and two-goal Leigh Dunn did the damage, while Wolviston responded when Paul Woods put through his own goal.

Prudhoe Town enjoyed a thrilling 6-4 victory over Newbiggin in the Northumberland County Cup.

Kostandino Sada was their hero with four goals, with David Wansell and Aaron Fletcher also scoring.