Wearside League: Four-goal morale booster for Ashbrooke Belford House

Silksworth CW (red) battle against Redcar Athletic on Saturday. Picture by Tim Richardson
Silksworth CW (red) battle against Redcar Athletic on Saturday. Picture by Tim Richardson
Have your say

Ashbrooke Belford House enjoyed a convincing 4-1 success at bottom club Harton & Westoe to climb to 11th place in the table.

A Nathan Burrell penalty saw them on their way as early as the fifth minute, and David Sewell made it 2-0 just after half-time.

Silksworth CW (red) take on Redcar Athletic

Silksworth CW (red) take on Redcar Athletic

Harton’s David Graham reduced the arrears on 57 minutes, but further goals from Steven Bogie (75 minutes) and John Coomber, five minutes later, sealed the welcome win, their eighth of the season in the league.

Silksworth CW went down 1-0 at home to Redcar Athletic in the battle of fourth and third, in a feisty affair at the Welfare Park.

The home side had four players cautioned and Carl Burns received his marching orders in the 65th minute, following a foul.

The all-important goal came five minutes earlier, in the 60th minute, when a Lance Skelton header beat goalkeeper Philip Smurthwaite, following a good cross from Joshua Cooper.

Seaham Red Star Reserves were hammered 6-2 at Hartlepool. However, the game started well for them.

Ryan Temple gave the visitors a 17th-minute lead, but John Stevenson equalised and Pool then took the lead with a Matty Gardner effort.

Kalon Lloyd made it 3-1 and Paul Donaghy fired home a fourth before John Hodgson scored from the spot to throw the Seaham side a lifeline.

Pool, though, made the game safe when Stevenson broke clear to score his second, in the 73rd minute, before Gardner’s second goal put the icing on the cake, with five minutes remaining.

Leaders Jarrow made the long trip west worthwhile with a 3-1 victory against Windscale, their 17th win in 21 league games.

Kai Elliott made the breakthrough in the 15th minute, with a shot from the edge of the 18-yard box, but Jarrow failed to find any rhythm and they gave away possession too easily.

Windscale enjoyed a lot of possession, as a result, and caused their visitors problems before deservedly equalising, courtesy of Ryan Byrne, just before half-time after Jarrow keeper Gary Frater made two great saves.

Jarrow, though, responded to manager Dave Bell’s half-time team talk and controlled the game from the off in the second period.

The South Tynesiders regained the lead on 65 minutes, with an excellent Andy Wilkinson finish following a great free-kick by Elliott.

Wilkinson sealed all three points with Jarrow’s third goal, pouncing with a close-range header after Jordon Mellish had won the first header from a corner.

Lowly Darlington 1883 Reserves claimed a 2-0 victory at Leam Rangers.

Sunderland West End exited the Total Sport Alan Hood Charity Cup after being beaten by a single goal at lowly Wolviston.

The only goal came when Jay Wilson’s free-kick found Luke Bennington and he powered home a header, beating Niall Thubron in the West End goal.

South Shields Reserves edged through 4-3 at Coxhoe Athletic in the first round of theTWR Shipowners’ Cup.

Chris Foster needed only eight minutes to give Coxhoe the lead, but Shields responded instantly, with Oli Martin equalising 60 seconds later.

Shields Reserves stormed ahead on 18 minutes, with a Jonny Hope goal, but Coxhoe came back to equalise through Kyle Morris, six minutes before the break.

In a topsy-turvy tie, Morris then put Athletic in front in the 69th minute with a superb finish into the bottom corner. But Shields rallied again, levelling on 81 minutes with a fine right-foot finish from substitute Matthew Davidson.

The game looked set for extra time, but Shields won it two minutes later, when Jai Grant forced home a rebound off the post to clinch a 4-3 away triumph.

Derek Waters notched twice as rampant Prudhoe Town eased to a 4-0 victory at Stokesley SC in the Monkwearmouth Cup first round.

Jack Barker and Arron Fletcher also notched, with Daniel Parker running the show. Stokesley had Seb Hanratty sent off.

Prudhoe’s victory secured them a second round trip to face Silksworth CW, a tie scheduled for December 10.

Richmond Town’s good form ended with a 1-0 defeat to Boro Rangers in the North Riding Cup.