Wearside League: Five-star Ashbrooke Belford House revel in crushing rout of leaders

Sunderland West End (red/white) take on Wolviston in Saturday's 2-2 draw. Picture by Kevin Brady
Sunderland West End (red/white) take on Wolviston in Saturday's 2-2 draw. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

Ashbrooke Belford House sprang one of the surprise results of the season when they hammered leaders Redcar Athletic 5-1 at Silksworth on Saturday.

From the moment David Scott drove into the net on six minutes, the Wearsiders dominated and they roared into a five-goal lead by the 66th minute.

Kevin Humble, Iain Potts, Dominic Laws and Corey Steele all struck before Adam Preston claimed a consolation goal for Redcar, whose lead at the top is now only two points.

Three-time champions Stockton Town are looking ominous after they crushed Seaham Red Star Reserves 11-0 to go second, with four games in hand on Redcar.

Max Craggs and Kallum Hannah both rifled hat-tricks and further goals flowed from Chris Dunwell, Tom Coulthard, Stephen Roberts, Tony Johnson and Chris Stockton.

Sunderland West End slipped back to third after they were held to a 2-2 draw by lowly Wolviston, who led on 30 minutes with a Ryan Brown header.

George McCain equalised within 60 seconds and Luke Bell gave West End an advantage early in the second period, but Andrew McGirr denied the Wearsiders two points with a 76th-minute equaliser.

Fifth-bottom Silksworth CW went down 3-0 at Jarrow. Michael Jacob conceded an own goal on 17 minutes andJonathan Hall rounded goalkeeper Joe Clayton before firing into an empty net two minutes into the second half.

Grant Pressling went past three players and buried a shot wide of Clayton from close range to complete the scoring.

Murton prop up the table and, despite Jordan Thompson cancelling out James Davies’s early goal, they succumbed to Annfield Plain, who ended 3-1 winners courtesy of Warren Brown and Liam Radbourne.

Leam Rangers were thumped 7-0 by rampant Hartlepool, with doubles from Luke Hogan and Alex Marshall leading the way. Terry Wilkinson, Matty Hyson and 17-year-old John Stephenson also notched.

Spennymoor Town Reserves came from behind to defeat Cleator Moor Celtic 2-1.

Harvey Staton broke the deadlock 10 minutes into the second half, but, following Carl Beasley’s 75th-minute equaliser, Connor Dunlavey grabbed the winner five minutes from time.

Horden CW crashed out of the Monkwearmouth Charity Cup, going down 3-1 at Harton and Westoe CW.

Chris Tarn fired Horden into an eighth-minute lead, but Harton turned the tables with strikes by Shaun Carroll and David Bulman.

Horden then missed a golden opportunity to equalise when Tarn’s penalty was saved by Andy Hunter and, in the 80th minute, Harton sealed the tie with a third goal from Shaun Heads.

Boldon CA reached the third round, defeating Richmond Town 4-2 on penalties after a 2-2 draw.

Adam Bell and Michael Martin were CA’s marksmen, with Mark Simms bagging both replies.