Wearside League: Burton’s smart finish seals derby delight for Ashbrooke Belford House

Ashbrooke Belford House (stripes) take on South Shields Reserves in a recent game
Ashbrooke Belford House (stripes) take on South Shields Reserves in a recent game
Have your say

Ten-man Ashbrooke Belford House ended a run of four successive defeats with a hard-earned 2-1 league victory over neighbours Sunderland West End last night.

Ashbrooke took the lead after just 21 minutes through a Josh Farquhar shot which beat visiting keeper Niall Thubron.

The home side suffered a big blow when Michael Jackson was given his marching order after 30 minutes for a reckless challenge.

Brad Foster equalised for West End nine minutes later, heading firmly past David Passmore in the Belford House goal.

But the 10-man started the second half brightly and regained the lead with Mason Burton’s 50th-minute header. Their defensive resilience was enough to fend off West End’s hopes of a point-saving equaliser.

Boldon CA lost 4-0 at home to free-scoring Richmond Town, who remain third in the table.

Simon Pinkney, Colin Anderson, Ben Darville and substitute Dan Caisley sank Paul Mossa’s side.

Table-toppers Jarrow increased their lead to 12 points with a 3-2 home win over Annfield Plain.

Jarrow opened the scoring in the 33rd minute when Jonathan Hirst fired home a free-kick from the edge of the box, but Plain equalised five minutes later when Kai Hewitson ran onto a long ball and slotted it past keeper Gary Frater.

Plain then took the lead on 61 minutes when Dean Pearce struck from the edge of the box, giving Frater no chance.

But Jarrow roared back. Jordan Mellish scored following a corner to level on 72 minutes, then, nine minutes from time, Mellish scored again with a fine header past keeper Joseph Longstaff for the winner.

Bottom club Harton and Westoe CW blew a 3-1 lead as Windscale rallied to win 4-3.

The home side opened the scoring after just four minutes through Sean Heads, but Darren Donald shot home past keeper Kevin Garrick to level.

Harton went 3-1 up with two David Graham goals in nine minutes, but Windscale fought back through Ryan Byrne’s header and a Michael Farrer right-foot shot, then snatched a dramatic last-minute winner as Donald latched onto a through ball to score.