Wearside League: Ashbrooke Belford House hit for six - after scaring champions Stockton Town

Silksworth CW (red) take on Harton & Westoe CW on Saturday
Silksworth CW (red) take on Harton & Westoe CW on Saturday
Have your say

Ashbrooke Belford House were unable to halt Stockton Town’s charge towards the championship, despite leading twice in Saturday’s clash on Teesside.

Dale Wells raised the hopes of the Wearsiders when he converted a fantastic free-kick from 35 yards, but, within four minutes, Chris Dunwell fired past goalkeeper Brett Wilson for the equaliser.

Back came Ashbrooke and Lee Owens put them in front for a second time, only for Ben Priestley to level before the interval.

Ashbrooke were unable to replicate their first-half form during the second period when Stockton took control and eventually ran out emphatic 6-2 winners, scoring four times in the last 28 minutes.

Adam Nicholson bagged four-minute brace and Ashbrooke were hit for six with late strikes by Tom Coulthard and Sonny Coleman.

An own goal earned Harton and Westoe CW the points on their visit to Silksworth CW.

It was against the run of play when Stephen Ramsey scored in off a post after 40 minutes, but Silksworth battled back and Steve Moody rounded goalkeeper James Erwin to net his first goal for the club.

Harton regained the advantage as a corner from Jack Young caused consternation in the home defence and Rhys Brown’s attempted clearance went into his own net to seal a 2-1 win for the visitors.

Boldon CA moved above Silksworth with victory at Seaham Red Star Reserves, where the only goal came with 32 minutes gone.

Alex Kempster beat the offside trap and gave Seaham goalkeeper Chay Adamson no chance. Andy May struck a free-kick against the Boldon crossbar, but that was the nearest the home side came to equalising.

Bottom club Murton were beaten by the Dryden brothers when Whitehaven made the journey to East Durham.

Nathan bagged a brace and Bradley also struck in a 3-0 victory for the Cumbrians, a result which leaves Murton still without a win.

Redcar Athletic lead the field and they came from behind to comfortably see off Prudhoe Town 4-1.

Aaron Fletcher netted for the Tynesiders, but, before the interval, the Seasiders struck twice through Andy Jennings and Liam Wood.

Any hopes Prudhoe harboured of saving the game just about ended when they conceded another two goals in the space of as many minutes just before the hour mark.

Matthew Dunford beat goalkeeper Shaun Green and Josh Brooks then chested the ball into his own net in attempting to find Green.

Stockton Town remain second, five points off the top, but Hartlepool’s championship challenge hit a setback when they were well beaten, going down 4-0 to Spennymoor Town Reserves at Coxhoe.

Third-placed Pool had a battle on their hands after Connor Dunlavey and Matthew Pennall netted in the opening 15 minutes and there was no way back when Ross Morrow made it three. Pennall scored his second goal to complete the rout.

Second-bottom Wolviston continue to struggle. They were hit with a 7-2 defeat by Jarrow at Perth Green – despite taking the lead.

Ryan Head was an early marksman and, following Grant Pressling’s equaliser, Brodie Simpson headed Jarrow in front.

Wolviston, though, retaliated with a David Johnson penalty equaliser, but, in the second period, the South Tynesiders were rampant, scoring five times.

Peter Kane rifled a hat-trick, while Pressling scored a second, with Andrew Wilkinson adding to the woes of Wolviston.

After conceding a two-goal lead, Leam Rangers managed an 85th-minute winner at home to Richmond Town.

Johnny Hirst, with a direct free-kick and then a penalty, had Leam well on top.

Kalumn Holbrook threw Richmond a lifeline and Mark Simms then restored parity, but, five minutes from time, substitute Nathan Bailey headed in a Hirst corner to seal a 3-2 victory for the Gateshead side.

Horden CW made the long journey into Cumbria for their fixture with Cleator Moor Celtic only for the game to be called off shortly before kick-off.

Sunderland West End’s match at Annfield Plain was also postponed, adding to their fixture backlog.