Wearside League: 14-goal nightmare haunts struggling Murton

Silksworth CW (red) take on Horden CW on Saturday. Picture by Kevin Brady
Silksworth CW (red) take on Horden CW on Saturday. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

Murton have not enjoyed their return to the Wearside League.

They lost the first eight league games, conceding 34 goals, with the management team of John Davison and Graeme Wetheral departing the club, but by far their poorest performance was at Jarrow on Saturday in the Shipowners’ Cup.

It was a stroll in the park from the first minute to the last for the South Tynesiders, who simply coasted to a 14-0 win, handing Callum Milne the toughest of all assignments in charge of the team.

Liam Clark rifled four goals, there was a hat-trick for John Murray, with Brodie Simpson (2), Chris Allen (2), Darren Morton, Peter Kane and Paul Burrell also on target.

Horden CW were another side in scoring mode, storming to victory at Silksworth CW, who were hit for six.

The result was all but settled by half-time. The visitors produced an excellent opening 45 minutes and four goals flowed from Darren Atkinson, Andrew Lonsdale, Jonathan Payne and Josh Allen.

Horden went nap early in the second period through Lonsdale and, although Jack Murphy pulled a goal back for Silksworth, Horden made it six as Michael Pattison struck.

Despite scoring first, Spennymoor Town Reserves lost 3-1 to Cleator Moor Celtic, who produced a match-winning, late rally.

Ross Morrow converted a 20th-minute penalty and Moors held the lead until the last 20 minutes when they conceded to Dion Barnes, Leigh Dunn and Darren Johnson.

Richmond Town needed extra time before seeing off Annfield Plain by the odd goal in three. Liam Darville and Daniel Compson were their matchwinners, with Michael Brown on target for Annfield.

One tie was played in the Monkwearmouth Charity Cup, with Prudhoe Town progressing to the second eound.

Stephen Forster (2) and Scott Palmer, with an extra-time winner, netted for Prudhoe in a 3-2 home success, with Adam Preston and Andrew Jennings on the mark for Redcar Athletic.

In the league, Sunderland West End continue to power ahead at the top of the table and are now five points clear of Redcar Athletic – ahead of their meeting on Teesside on Wednesday night.

George McCain and Lee Smith fired West End into a two-goal lead, but Seaham Red Star Reserves were given a lifeline by Jamie Davis.

Mark Catcheside missed a penalty for West End, but it did not prove costly and, five minutes from time, Kieran Martin made sure of securing a ninth consecutive win with a third goal for Anth Nelson’s high-fliers.

Ashbrooke Belford House were two goals up courtesy of Josh Farquhar and Lee Owens at Whitehaven, but they had to settle for a point following strikes by Nathan Dryden and Kevin Holliday.

Boldon CA were crushed 7-0 by champions Stockton Town, who are third, six points behind West End with a game in hand.

Chris Stockton (2), Max Craggs (2), Chris Dunwell, Stephen Roberts and Kallum Hannah all beat goalkeeper James Lone.

It wasn’t a good day for Hartlepool’s Lee Jones. After Adam Smith had given Harton and Westoe CW an early advantage, Jones had a penalty saved and two minutes later he was sent off.

Harton doubled the lead through Kyle Hushby, but 10-man Pool hit back in the second half to win 4-2 thanks to Luke Day (2), Alex Marshall and Jake Larkin.

Johnny Hirst and Nathan Badams earned Leam Rangers a 2-1 win at home to Wolviston, for whom David Summersgill, later to be red-carded, equalised.