Tunstall, Caley, Gordon and Winter score as Ryhope CW beat Crook Town

Have your say

Ryhope CW were within seconds of going out of the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup last night.

They trailed Crook Town but an own goal saved them and in extra time the Wearsiders won 4-2.

The Millfield men shook Gary Pearson’s team by taking a two-goal lead through Jamie Tunstall and Phil Caley, and there were only 10 minutes left on the clock as Josh Home Jackson threw the home side a lifeline.

As the tie went into the last minute of normal time, an upset was on the cards, but following a scramble in the Crook goalmouth, a defender turned the ball into his own net.

The Wearsiders had the better of additional time. David Gordon gave them the advantage for the first time and on 118 minutes, Connor Winter’s strike made the tie safe.

Chester-le-Street have scored 14 goals against Alnwick Town in four days.

At the weekend they blasted the Northumbrians 8-0 and last night were almost just as effective as they ran out 6-1 winners to also reach round three.

Goals from Andrew Grant Soulsby, Chris Stephenson and Lee Mole just about had the tie wrapped up inside the first half hour and in the second period the Cestrians went nap courtesy of Kevin Dixon and Ben Johnson.

There was temporary respite for Alnwick when Tony Brown struck, but right at the end, they were hit for six as Johnson scored his second goal of the night.

Seaham Red Star celebrated at the weekend, reaching the third round of the FA Carlsberg Vase for the first time in their history, but they came back down to earth with a bump, losing 4-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

Paul Brayson and Mark Convery – appointed Benfield’s management team on Saturday – both scored with Dean Walker and Chris Hardy also finding the net.

Seaham slipped to seventh-bottom while Benfield are now above them, 10 points clear of the relegation zone.

In Division Two, Thornaby edged Whickham 2-1 with goals from Theo Furness and Richard Walker after David Fitzpatrick had given the Tynesiders an early lead.

South Shields – odds-on favourites to gain promotion from the ENL Second Division – go marching on although they needed extra time before seeing off Consett in the second round of the FA Carlsberg Vase.

Their matchwinner was Adam Sakr, who scored the only goal from close range in the 104th minute.

The Mariners will be at home to Morpeth Town on December 12.

Morpeth’s scheduled tie against 1874 Northwich tonight has been cancelled because the visitors can’t raise a team and the tie has been awarded by the FA to the Northumbrians.

Marske United easily defeated Runcorn Linnets last night and will have ground advantage against either Guisborough Town or Team Northumbria, who play tonight.