Third defeat for Sunderland RCA

Have your say

Ebac Northern League

THEY have only played three games, but the First Division table doesn’t look good reading for Sunderland RCA.

They are still without a point but perhaps will take comfort from the fact that Saturday’s victors Dunston UTS, lost their first two games before winning the next two.

The game at Meadow Park started in torrential rain but the elements didn’t deter the Tynesiders who took an 11th-minute lead as Gary Ormston struck from close-range.

Midway through the opening half, Scott Fenwick slammed the ball into the bottom of the net and following more culpable defending by David Lee’s side, Nick Kane made it three before the interval.

Although Kyle Morris had an effort saved by UTS goalkeeper Liam Connell in the second half, goalscoring chances were few and far between for both teams.

Durham City’s 100 per cent record was ended by West Auckland Town who played some superb football. They constantly opened up the Citizens’ defence and were rewarded with three goals in the opening half hour from Stephen Richardson (2) and Paul Garthwaite.

Although the visitors improved, they leaked a fourth goal to Alex Francis on 81 minutes to give caretaker boss Steve Skinner his first win.

Marske United are the surprise leaders although they conceded their 100 per cent record to Morpeth Town for whom Mark Lancaster and Michael Chilton struck.

Reece Kelly and Austin Johnston were on target for the Seasiders who are ahead of newly-promoted North Shields on goals difference.

The Robins also have 10 points from a possible 12 after comfortably defeating Bedlington Terriers even though just one goal separated the teams.

Gareth Bainbridge – the league’s leading marksman last season – struck twice for the Shieldsmen with Lee Scott gifted Terriers’ equaliser following a defensive blunder.

Jarrow Roofing held much-fancied Shildon to a draw but in the opening half a win for the visitors looked the likely outcome.

Mark Hudson gave them an early lead and it was very much against the run of play when Jon Wright levelled. In the second half though Richie McLoughlin’s side improved considerably to fully deserve a share of the points.

Bishop Auckland are the only side with a 100 per cent record and despite playing for 65 minutes with 10 men following the dismissal of Jordan Lavery, romped to victory over Whitley Bay.

Former Ryhope CW striker John Butler rifled a hat-trick and Chris Lawson also netted before Paul Chow claimed a consolation for the Bay.