Sunderland West End hammer eight-man Coxhoe Athletic

Have your say

SUNDERLAND West End enjoyed an eight-goal rout of Coxhoe Athletic to surge into the Second Round of the Wearside League Cup.

Only two goals separated the sides at the halfway stage, but there was simply no stopping the Wearsiders after the break and Coxhoe’s cause was not helped when they had three players sent off.

David Keighley, with a hat-trick, Stephen Lax, Stephen Bogie, Michael Wharton, John Glenwright and John Coomber (pen) all enjoyed the romp.

So too did Ryhope CW’s Nathan O’Neil (2), John Harrison, Mark Catchewise, Nathan Johnson and Paul Taylor as their team hit Gateshead Leam Rangers for six.

Strikes by Liam Barnett and Liam O’Neil were no more than consolations for the Tynesiders.

Silksworth Rangers produced an encouraging performance before losing to joint leaders Redcar Athletic, who went two goals up courtesy of Andy Porritt and Stuart Poulter.

Midway through the second period, a good cross from the right was fired home by Anton Crann to raise the hopes of Silksworth fightback, but when Robbie Clarkson netted a third for Redcar, there was no way back.

The four ties produced no fewer than 27 goals, with seven of them scored at Derwent Park, where Jarrow only just secured their place in the next stage by beating Annfield Plain.

Paul Turrell (2), Grant Pressling and Liam Bailes were their matchwinners, with Kai Hewitson (2) and Keiron Gowary keeping Plain in the tie.

Hartlepool conceded a goal after just 55 seconds to Wolviston’s Ryan Hebb, but emerged 5-1 winners of their Durham Challenge Cup tie, with goals from Ian Davies, Kyle McDermott, Scott Hine, Jonathan Bolton and Ged Livingstone.

In a reduced league programme, Peterlee Town lost to Kirkbymoorside, who recorded only their third win of the season.

Ryan and Jordan Rivis had the Yorkshiremen two goals ahead until stoppage time, when Stephen Burn claimed a consolation for Don Naylor’s team.

David Johnson (2) and Tony Johnson netted for fourth-placed Stockton Town at Boldon CA, for whom Michael Meek and Shaun Reay replied.

Willington stay third but missed the chance to go top when they crashed to a five-goal defeat at Darlington Cleveland Bridge, whose matchwinners were Neville Fuller, David Hookway, Philip Caley, Michael Carter and Shaun Simpson.

H Ashbrooke Belford House were spared an abortive journey to Cumbria when their Monkwearmouth Charity Cup tie at Cleator Moor Celtic was called off on Friday night because of a waterlogged pitch.