Sunderland Sunday League: Wing wizard Stevens torments Mill View to hit first hat-trick in Detached cup triumph

Have your say

Davey Stevens earned the plaudits after he hit his first hat-trick for Farringdon Detached in a 5-2 defeat of Mill View CIU in the first round of the Hendersons Butchers-sponsored League Cup.

Mill could not handle Farra’s wing wizard and, after his three goals, he had a hand in the other two, netted by Baker and Brown. Scott and Lloyd finished good moves to hit consolations.

Myers romped to a 13-1 victory over a Penshaw CC side who were out of their depth against Jamie Owens’ men.

Sean Williams hit Penshaw’s solitary goal, but hat-tricks from Dan Hill and sub Stephen Moody led Myers home, with Craig Richardson (2), Gavin Nesbitt (2), Alan Golightly, Anth Rogerson and Liam Richardson also striking.

The Dolphin and The Royal Marine served up the only tie which went all the way to penalties.

The game, a great watch for neutrals, finished 5-5 after extra time. Howat, Sweeney, Wilkinson, Coomber and Bates-Walls scored for Dolphin, with Collins, Berry and an Anth Clifton hat-trick levelling it up.

Marine progressed with a 3-1 shoot-out success.

Steven Trotter was the hero then villain for Martin Telfer Carpets.

His goal put them in front against Willow Pond, but then Trotter saw red and the visitors dominated the rest of the game. Connor Gales capped a fine display with a great goal, Richie Bland hit a brace and Grant Carr finished the scoring. Lawrence also saw red for Willow, but the game was already won.

Ryan Bussey came back to haunt his old team as South Hylton Potters thumped derby rivals Jolly Potters 7-2.

He hit a great treble and John Coomber made it four. Paul Webster rallied Jolly with a brace, but Jack Purvis’s sending-off stopped any hopes of a comeback and Jonathan Greener grabbed a hat-trick to seal the visitors’ fate.

RCA Grangetown Florists showed their Premier class against Fourth Division new boys East Rainton as they ran out 6-2 winners.

Andy Place’s double put RCA in front in the early stages, then Turvey and Reece Noble made it 4-0 at the break. Rainton hit back through Lee Gaunt’s brace, but Metcalfe and Thompson made sure for Florists.

Vane Arms secured progress with a 4-1 win over New Town. Wing wizard Adam Wasey practically won the game himself as he fired a brace and set up Graeme Thornton to nod home. Georgie Clark caught Vane’s defence napping to cut the deficit, with new boy Michael Slater scored with his first touch to seal the win.

Ryhope Railway Inn made light work of TC with a convincing 5-1 win.

Craig Whelan was back to his goalscoring ways with an early double, before Michael Mather pulled one back. Dean Machin, Smith and Chris Grier rounded the scoring.

Victoria Gardens passed their first test of the season with flying colours, despatching Welcome Tavern 5-2 with ease.

Star man Kevin Humble grabbed a hat trick as he pulled the strings all game. James Mitchell got Welcome back into the game with a well-taken double, but Gardens finished deserved winners, with Tony Armstrong and Devlin on target.

Ryhope Foresters had to grind out a 3-1 home win as Harbour View stood their ground, but the Premier outfit edged the tie.

Kieran Davies started the scoring for Foresters and Anth Young doubled their lead. Sub Ben Grassam cut the gap to ensure a tight last 10 minutes, but Keiran Davis fired the hosts’ decisive third goal.

In the battle of the namesakes, Ryhope Top House came out on top against Sunderland Top House 3-0. Rob McConnell hit a brace, with Michael Eden entering the game late on to make it three.

Woodlands continued their unbeaten start to the season with a 3-2 win at AFC Wearside.

A brace from star man Carl Longstaff settled Woodlands, but Donnelly and Calvert rallied Wearside until Liam Middlemas was on hand to hit the visitors’ late winner.

Silksworth Paragon put poor Saltgrass to the sword and fired 13 unanswered goals.

Lewis Herron hit four goals to claim the man-of-the-match award, while George McCain and Michael McCabe added hat-tricks to sink a never-say-die visiting side.

Lewis Lynn and subs Mallaburn and Prater finished the rout.

Hendon just managed to edge past Board Inn 3-2, but they were pushed all the way.

Board Inn took the lead through Wighamm but Owens pegged them back with his fine finish and then Mick Gilby nodded Hendon in front. Micky Wharton took advantage of poor defending by Imeson and Tyrell to haul Board Inn level, but Jake Tyrell had the last laug, nodding Hendon’s winner.

SR Dons taught Redhouse Last Orders a lesson in finishing as they cruised to a 6-1 victory.

Stokoe and Adam Sloanes were guilty of missing chance after chance, but the Dons had Sean Sweeney to thank for a glorious hat-trick. John Noble hit the next before Marc “Alfie” Moon responded. Dons made sure when McDonald and Marc “Emma” Dale fired past Craig Pace.

The Ashbrooke regained winning ways with an 8-2 rout of Railway Club.

Drayton hit four goals, followed by a Jordan Birnie brace, with player-manager Leighton Cooney and Davey Scott, after a mazy run, also netting. Tyzack and Tansey hit consolations.

Farringdon ISL’s top-flight superstars were pretty in pink as they took on Fourth Division new boys Wearmouth CW Juniors. The gulf in class showed as Paul Taylor’s men eased home 7-0.

Local hero Adam Johnston and Adam Platts fired braces, backed by David Paul, Gillatt and Parkinson. Jonny Atkinson shone for Wearmouth.

The Lansdowne recorded a great 8-3 win over New Tavern.

Hot-shot John Hope-Hindmarsh grabbed a treble and Lewis Lynch hit a double to make it 5-0 at the break.

Andrew Patterson and a Craig Neal brace gave Tavern hope, but Tom Smith’s men kept knocking at the door and Jukes, Gill and Martin took them to eight.

A Robert Calvert double got Victory Club on their way, but Kings Arms levelled through Anderson and Lindsay. Stephen Robson didn’t fluff his lines as he grabbed Victory’s winner for a 3-2 success.

Goals from Colley and Robinson were enough to give Thorney Close Inn a narrow 2-1 victory at Washington Colliery, who had Naisbett replying. Baker shone for Thorney, Rowntree for Colliery.

Lakeside SSC won 3-1 at Wear United, who fancied themselves to win through.

Usher, Pfendt and Kris Keith gave Lakeside the win, with Gary Simmons hitting a late consolation.

The Stumble Inn were not up to scratch against new-look Ashbrooke Sports Club, and the dismissal of Shaun Hunter did not help as they crashed 4-0.

Josh Perry finished the game with a treble, with David Dixon also notching.

There were only two league games.

In the Premier Division, Hendersons Butchers silenced the Southwick faithful at Quarry View with a convincing 3-0 win.

Southwick did themselves no favours as Fisk saw red early on. Nath O’Neill, Dan Makin and Anth Douthwaite took advantage and steered Butchers to the top of the table.

In Division Four, Millfield Oddies made easy work of Park View in a surprising 6-2 win.

Oddies raced into a 4-0 lead through Brown, Ganley and Haswell (2) before the break. Park View did show a bit fight and had Varley and Ewart on target, but Oddies had the points in their sights and Kris Golden’s brace secured the win.