Sunderland Sunday League: Wharton swoops late to push rivals over Cliff

Have your say

FOURTH Division GBSC upset the form book as they dumped The Cliff out of the Billy Pemberton Memorial cup, winning 3-2 in extra time.

Stewart and Bamborough struck for Cliff, but Dagg, Weir and a late effort from Micky Wharton gave Grindon the victory.

The Stumble Inn needed extra time before seeing off The Royal Marine 5-3 in a dramatic tie which saw four visiting players red-carded.

Marine were in front and cruising after Maggiore grabbed a first-half hat-trick, but Grosert and Judson saw red and Stumble got back into the game as Jack Gallagher scored twice and Corey Steel bundled the ball over the line in the last minute to take it to extra time.

Things went from bad to worse for Marine when Maggiore then got his marching orders, then Agnew came off the bench and he fired a clinching double for Stumble. This did not go down well on the Marine sideline as Heslop saw red – and he didn’t even manage to get on the pitch.

Hendon saw off Wear United 5-1 with ease to advance to the quarter-finals. Lee Owens (2) and “Jasper” Carrick had them three up before Sheriff replied.

New boy Anth Nixon headed Hendon’s fourth, then Keith Reay rounded off the scoring with a great strike from the edge of the box.

Farringdon Detached needed extra time to see off Oddies 2-1, with Snowdon replying to efforts from Wolfendale and Stevens.

Hylton Road Carpets Elite recorded a great 3-0 win over Mill View CIU, who are counting the cost of losing star man Jonny Atkinson move to moneybags Farringdon ISL. Elite’s own star signing, Liam Wooton, bagged the opener, then Gareth Brazier finished a great move for 2-0 before “Rodney” Melia struck.

Welcome Tavern’s Scott Seldon went from hero to zero in their 4-3 defeat at Lakeside SSC.

He put Welcome in front early on but saw red for a professional foul, which changed the game and let Lakeside back in. James Stephenson struck twice to give them the lead, though Mark Lister pulled Welcome level with a low shot.

The extra man showed and Lakeside took advantage as Usher and Barrass beat keeper Brown. Lister hit another consolation.

The Vane Arms were more excited to meet Julio Arca than try to advance to the quarter-finals, but visitors Willow Pond’s quality shone through in a 5-1 victory. Hurrell (2), Grant Carr (2) and Andy Winter gave Willow the easy win, with Adam Wasey replying.

Washington New Tavern outgunned Jolly Potters 5-3, inspired by an Andy Patterson hat-trick.

McQuillan (2) and Michael Johnson fired home to level matters, but Jay Booth and Harrison took advantage of poor goalkeeping to clinch Tavern’s win.