Sunderland Sunday League: Welcome Tavern blown away by strong Gales

Have your say

HOT-SHOT Connor Gales continued his impressive goalscoring record with a four-goal haul to inspire Willow Pond to a 6-3 victory over Welcome Tavern in the only Second Division match to get the green light.

Willow extended their lead through Grant Carr and Warren Cassap, then, as the home side sat back, Welcome took advantage of slack defending and managed to pull three goals back, with Craig Maddision, Mark Lister and Daz Green on target.

Humbledon & Plains Farm returned to winning ways in the only Premier Division game, routing Sandhills 9-1, after their previous dismal draw.

James Fairley hit an early brace to set the tone of the game, then Mark Davison got in on the act and notched a brace for a 4-0 lead.

Chris Winn nodded the fifth goal before Michael McCabe rifled past Martin Jackson, in the Plains Farm goal, to give the visitors a boost.

Sandhills’ joy was shortlived, though, as Plainsy made three changes and the subs all found the net. Joe Walton grabbed two goals, followed by efforts from Jonny Davis and Gary Shields.

Humbledon are five points behind long-time leaders Farringdon ISL and still have two games in hand.

Gavin Thompson stood out for Sandhills.

There were three games in the First Division.

Thorney Close Inn secured another win as they push for promotion, beating hosts Ryhope Top House 3-1.

Thorney, despite a depleted squad, came up trumps with brilliant goals from Peter Greenwell, Paul Taylor and James Dolan. Star man Reece Tench was unlucky to be on the losing side for the Top House, whose marksman was Conor Slee.

Paul Maw led the line well for South Hylton Potters as they ran out 6-0 winners at Grange Park.

Maw fired a first-half hat-trick after a superb display of finishing. Potters sealed the deal with further goals from Chris Curtis, Stephen Allan and Ryan Bussey. Lee Smith starred for Grange Park

Scott Hembrough capped a fine display on his debut for The Ashbrooke with a fine goal to put them on the way to a 3-1 home victory over Stackyard.

Lee Pearce levelled things up, and it wasn’t until the second half when The Ashbrooke pulled away with goals from Iain Potts and Graeme Walton.

The Dolphin have shot up the Third Division into third place with another victory, 5-4 at The Stumble Inn, to maintain their winning streak.

Nathan Coomber and star man Jordan Sweeney fired doubles for Dolphin, backed by a Craig Wilkinson strike, while never-say-die Stumble Inn had Andrew Dixon, Brian Chapman, Connor Barnes and Rhys Robson replying.

Keeper Ayden Cummings stood out for Stumble.

Hendon edged a thriller 6-4 against Ryhope Railway Inn to extend their lead at the top.

Clayton Davis, Keith Reay, David Carrick and Michael Montgomery all scored before Railway rallied back through doubles from Paul Jackson and Vincent. But Hendon’s class shone through and Lee Owens finished the game with a brace to seal the win.

In the Fourth Division, Tunstall Titans recorded a much-needed win, putting Oddfellows Arms to the sword in a 5-3 away success.

Goals from Andrew Reynolds (2), Robert Wilson (2) and Chris Callan did the damage for Tunstall, with Tony Ganley, Lewis Wood and Liam Collinson replying.

James Donnelly shone for Titans.

Town End Farm RA burst the Ashbrooke Sports Club bubble, ending their hosts’ run of impressive wins.

Anth Powell started the scoring, quickly followed by a Luke Bell volley. Ridley and Collinson had chances to get Ashbrooke back in the game, but they failed to find the net. Devlin scored late on for Town End to seal a 3-0 win.

Keiron McArthur stood out for RA, Jordan Ridley for Ashbrooke.

Myers advanced to the next round of the Total Sport Challenge Trophy with an easy 6-2 win over Oddies.

Man of the match Alan Golightly grabbed a brace and Mark Dugdale hit the third. Snowdon pulled two goals back for Oddies, but the Premier outfit’s class shone through and Damon Ellis grabbed a double himself, with Daniel Hill also on target, to finish the scoring.

Hendersons Butchers came out on top 2-1 in a poor match against Hylton Road Carpets Elite as both teams cancelled each other out.

With few chances in the game, Elite drew first blood with a goal from Gareth Brazier, but Butchers bounced back courtesy of a well-taken brace from stalwart Carl Old.

Butchers are now looking forward to a top-of-the-table First Division crunch clash with Southwick tomorrow.