Sunderland Sunday League: Wasey magic sparks Vane championship party

Have your say

THE Vane Arms secured the Second Division title with a convincing performance in a 4-0 victory against Farringdon Detached.

Victory took them seven points clear at the top, with one game to go, after rivals Hylton Road Carpets Elite lost their penultimate match.

Vane’s long winning streak had been halted in recent weeks, but they got back to winning ways in convincing fashion.

Manager Pickhard had a host of stars available and his team got the win to take the three most important points of their season.

Man of the match Adam Wasey was at his best with a well-taken hat-trick to set them on their way. Farringdon, with Carl Burns their star man, could not handle the Vane’s pace and Adam Cushingham grabbed the fourth goal.

Hylton Road Carpets Elite had the chance to have another say in the destination of the title but they failed to deliver, as Oddies recorded a fine 3-2 victory, following up their win over Vane Arms.

Taylor and a David Snowdon double gave Oddies the win, with Gareth Brazier and star man Steve Anderson responding for Elite, who are nevertheless promoted as runners-up.

The Stumble Inn snatched second place in the Third Division thanks to a close-fought 1-0 win over bottom club Wear United in the final game of the season.

United were unlucky not to get something from the game, as they battled right to the end. It was an eventful game, with United keeper Andrew Sheekey seeing red after only 25 minutes.

Wear had their chances to cause an upset, but the Stumble lads kept going and Andy Dixon managed to find the net to win the game and leapfrog Jolly Potters into second place.

Jason Alexander starred for Stumble, with Kyle Hepple best for gallant United.

Ryhope CW were condemned to bottom spot in the Premier Division after going down 4-0 away to neighbours RCA Grangetown Florists.

Doubles from Martin Metcalfe and Andy Place were enough to see off Ryhope, whose determined efforts ensured that home keeper Jordan Harkness was the star man for Florists. Neil Hamed starred in vain for Ryhope, who end the season with 12 points from 18 games.

After wrapping up the title the previous week, Humbledon & Plains Farm played out an entertaining 3-3 draw with Hylton Castle TWR in their final league match of the campaign.

Jonny Davis ran the show for Plainsy and James Fairley is a man on fire after scoring another dazzling brace. Kev Gordon hit a double to get TWR back in the game and Cresswell put Hylton in the lead. But Mark Davison’s trademark header rescued a point for Plainsy late on.

Silksworth Paragon pulled off a surprise 3-2 win over second-top Farringdon ISL. Lewis Herron started the scoring for Paragon, but Luke Page levelled.

David “Busta” Paul then grabbed his customary goal to put Farra in the driving seat before the break.

But, early in the second half, Alex Wate found the net for Paragon and Alan Bate then beat four players and hit a curling shot from 25 yards which found the top corner to give Paragon the win.

He celebrated later with a photo opportunity with his favourite Sunderland player, Wes Brown.

Nathan Burrell starred for Paragon.

Earlier, RCA Grangetown Florists recorded a 5-2 win at depleted Hylton Castle TWR.

Gordon struck both for Hylton, but Florists were too strong and Reece Noble’s brace, supported by strikes from John Turvey, Gareth Hill and Shaun Petch.

Two Premier games were held on Thursday night.

RCA Grangetown Florists had two men – David Rush and sub Lewis Hutchinson – red-carded as they went down 6-5 in an incredible clash at Farringdon ISL.

Paul Taylor’s brace sparked Farra, who also had Adam Platts, Luke Page, Luke Richardson and Ben Riding on target. Two-goal John Turvey, Andy Place, Rob Hall and Martin Metcalfe kept nine-man Florists in it all the way.

Myers outgunned SR Dons 4-2, helped by a well-taken Neil Blue double. James Cook and Stephen Moody also netted.

New Town sealed the second promotion place in the Fourth Division, handing out a 9-2 beating to hosts Tunstall Titans.

Brad Foster was on fire as he fired six goals to put them to the sword. Elliott Salichi added to the scoreline with a tidy brace then Thompson hit the last for New Town in a 9-2 romp. Wilson and Milne hit consolations for Tunstall.

The Lansdowne then hit Tunstall Titans for six. Jay Martin ran the show for Tom Smith’s team and was solid at the back.

John Hope Hindmarsh started the scoring with a brace then Lewis Lynch and Thomas Alderson made it four.

Craig Coulton and Rob Wilson rallied Titans to 4-2, but Kristian Tyson and Matty Frost steered Lansdowne home.

On Thursday, Michael Wharton netted in vain for GBSC as they were sunk 4-1 by visitors New Town.

The final game of the season in Division One saw champions Hendersons Butchers sign off with an easy 6-0 win over South Hylton Potters.

Nath Cummings earned the man of the match award with a glorious brace. Potters didn’t put up much of a fight and further goals from Stoker, Edmundson, Old and Jordan ended the rout.