Sunderland Sunday League: Stumble up as AFC Wearside pay for costly defeat

Have your say

THE Stumble Inn earned three valuable points to climb into second place in Division Three.

Charlton, Thubron and Robson were all on the scoresheet for Stumble at home to Washington Colliery, who grabbed a consolation when John Kelly finished a fine display with a well-taken goal.

They moved above AFC Wearside, whose season ended with a thumping 4-0 home defeat to Jolly Potters.

Paul Webster grabbed a double, then Purvis hit the next and Gary Baker nodded home a fourth.

Only Jolly Potters, with three games left, can overhaul Stumble Inn.

Champions Hendon are signing off the league season in style, securing a convincing 5-0 win over Washington Last Orders in their penultimate league game.

Anth Rathbone was the star man, but Clayton Davis nearly overshadowed him as he hit a fine hat-trick and David Newby grabbed a brace.

The Vane Arms are making a statement in Division Two and are gunning for the title.

They enjoyed another convincing win, outgunning Victory Club 4-1. Adam Wasey grabbed a double and Adam Cushingham also hit two.

Vane’s star man was Steven Fountain, while the game saw Martin Hope play his fourth debut of the season when he came off the bench for the home side.

Mill View CIU made life easy for Oddies as they had Chris Richardson sent off midway through the first half. Conlin grabbed Mill View’s goal in a 4-1 defeat, with Snowdon and Taylor were among the scorers for Oddies.

Willow Pond got back to winning ways by beating Farringdon Detached, who have let their lead at the top slip away with another defeat.

Grainger bagged Farra’s single goal, but visitors Willow wanted the win more and strikes from Hurrell, Carr and Jake McDermott made sure of a 3-1 success.

Hylton Road Carpets Elite were dominant from start to finish in a 5-0 rout of Pennywell Comrades.

Liam Wooton capped a man-of-the-match performance with a well-taken double. Dixon was next on the scoresheet and Scott Johnstone grabbed a double on his return.

Paul Stephenson was the star man for the Lakeside, but hosts Harbour View sealed a 2-1 success. Muir hit a brace and Iain Usher replied.

Martin Telfer Carpets completed their Fourth Division programme with an impressive 4-1 success against The Lansdowne.

Brooke hit a double, followed by strikes from Knight and Steel to put the Lansdowne to the sword.

Table-toppers TEF RA were rampant in their 10-0 win at Oddfellows Arms, who have now shipped 123 goals and will be glad this was their last league game.

The Town End lads have all but wrapped the league title up, sitting six points clear. Star man Luke Bell grabbed six goals, while Farquhar and Devlin both scored and stalwart Barry Cook came off the bench to hit a late double.

Leaders Farringdon ISL extended their advantage with a close 2-1 win at Ryhope CW in the only Premier Division game.

Brett Gillatt opened the scoring for Farra, but Anth Rogerson levelled things for Ryhope early in the second half. Mark Stephenson, though, came off the bench to get the visitors’ winner.

Luke Olabode got the only goal of the game to earn The Ashbrooke all three points in a tight First Division clash at Stackyard.

Dean McKeown missed a late chance to land Stackyard a point.