Sunderland Sunday League: Stoker steps up RA title surge

Have your say

TOWN End Farm RA moved closer to securing the Fourth Division title thanks to an epic 4-2 win over GBSC.

It was a close game as the top two went to war. Town End were in front through a Gareth Stoker brace, but the Grindon side got themselves back in it when Micky Wharton fired a well-taken double.

Stackyard produced an impressive comeback to pick up a First Division point at Ryhope Top House

But the incentive was the league title for Town End and further goals from Devlin and Josh Farquhar sees them 10 points clear of their only remaining challengers, New Town, who have five games to play. RA have two more matches.

New Town were made to fight all the way by Railway Club, but they eked out a 5-3 victory. Elliot Salichi (2), Mhlanga, Winlow and Hennis struck for New Town, while Cam Marshall and two-goal Thompson kept Railway in it all the way.

Stackyard produced an impressive comeback to pick up a First Division point at Ryhope Top House, after finding themselves 3-0 down at the break.

Birnie (2) and Finnon looked to have won it for Top House, but Dean Smith capped a superb show with a fine hat-trick to rescue a 3-3 draw.

South Hylton Potters are flying at the moment, hitting top form to take them into their cup final against Humbledon.

Potters despatched Thorney Close Inn 5-3, but they left it late. Star man Bussey fired a hat-trick, but Thorney hit back through Bage, Robinson and Dolan, yet Potters grabbed two further goals to win it, with Scott and Martin netting.

Humbledon & Plains Farm got back to winning ways in the Premier Division, demolishing Sandhills 9-0 to get back on track for the league title.

Man of the match Ash Davis was back with a bang, grabbing four goals, with Stewart, Kane, Cassidy and a brace from Fryatt finishing the scoring.

The points were shared in the Ryhope derby as Guide Post and Ryhope CW battled out a 1-1 draw at Silksworth.

Dan Armstrong put Guide in front early in the second half, but Ryhope rallied and deservedly equalised, with Anth Rogerson scoring. Marsh shone for Guide, with Jones best for Ryhope.

Washington Last Orders edged home by the odd goal in five against Wear a United in Division Three.

Andy McIntrye hit two fantastic goals for Last Orders and Ward made it three just after half-time. United had a good go in the second half and managed to pull two goals back, through Earles and Stevenson, but an equaliser eluded them.

Craig Neal hit an early brace to set Washington New Tavern on their way to a 3-1 win over The Stumble Inn. Andy Dixon fired home for Stumble, but Corrigan increased Tavern’s lead and they held firm for the win.

Julio Arca was on hand to pull the strings for Willow Pond as they fought back from a goal down to win 3-1 at Victory Club in Division Two.

Calvert had Victory in front, but Grant Carr kept up his impressive goalscoring run with an equaliser, then Jake McDermott hit a double to seal Willow’s success.

Pennywell Comrades easily overcame Oddies 4-1, with David Snowdon replying to efforts from Thompson, Johnson, Howell and star man Nixon.

Farringdon Detached have definitely blown their chance of winning the title – after Harbour View recorded an easy 3-0 win. Rhys Brown stood out for well-beaten Detached.

Oddfellows Arms recorded a massive cup shock with a 4-2 first leg win over Martin Telfer Carpets in the Fourth Division Subsidiary Cup.

The Carpetmen took Oddfellows lightly and they were made to suffer after they trailed 4-0 by half-time. Knight and Brooke plundered a couple of goals back in the second period, but they Carpets have it all to do in the return fixture.

Ashbrooke Sports Club recorded a 21-0 aggregate score over Millfield Oddies, who cannot wait for the season to end.

Jordan Ridley was star man in the 8-0 second leg triumph, while Michael Brown bagged a brace and Matty Teasdale hit the next. Simpson came off the bench to finish the scoring.

Unite New Herrington Club won through 4-3 on aggregate after securing a close-fought 2-2 draw at Tunstall Titans. Milne and Abel scored for Tunstall, with Jordan and Bignall hitting Herrington’s crucial goals.

In the Third Division Subsidiary Cup, Ryhope Railway Inn gave themselves a decent advantage for the second leg after beating The Dolphin 3-1. Craig Whelam (2) and Dean Machin netted, with Davis replying.

Hendon had Tyrell, Carrick, Owens and Davis to thank for a 4-2 victory over AFC Wearside, who had Wallis and Tedder on the scoresheet.

Jolly Potters are now finding their form and they recorded a good 4-1 win at Washington Colliery. The Steels old boys were on hand to fire home as Copeland and Baker started the scoring. Naisbett replied for Colliery, but further goals from Cummings and Johnson ensured the away success.