Sunderland Sunday League: Shaun sparks Tavern treat

Have your say

A FANTASTIC Shaun Davies free-kick got Washington New Tavern off to a great start, and they did not look back in sinking Jollies 2-0 in the Billy Pemberton Memorial Cup.

Jollies were poor all over the park and Tavern sealed the win when Andy Patterson’s shot went through a sea of legs to find the net.

Wear United emphatically beat fellow strugglers Unite New Herrington Club 6-2, inspired by Gary Simmons’ hat-trick.

Sheriff, Musther and Dennis made it six, while Snelling and Bignell responded.

A Michael McKeown hat-trick steered Farringdon Detached home 5-1 against Washington Wetherspoons, while Collinson grabbed a brace. Barry Appleton hit a late consolation.

The Stumble Inn sealed their place in the next round, squeezing home 4-3 against Washington Colliery.

Robson and Dodsworth gave Stumble the lead, but a rallying cry from Washington saw Maggiore and Price level it up.

Charlton restored the lead, but Young equalised, then Stumble had the last laugh when Smurthwaite came off the bench to grab the winner.

Warren Cassap was man of the match as Willow Pond earned a hard-fought 3-1 victory at AFC Wearside.

He set goals up for Grant Carr and Connor Gales to give Willow a 2-0 lead. Josh Campbell pulled a goal back, but Hurrell made sure of Willow’s win late on.

The Royal Marine won an 11-goal thriller 8-3 away to Sunderland Railway Club, but it was a close game at half-time.

It was 3-3 at the break, with Tyzack and two-goal Brannen netting for Railway, with Alex Fannen (2) and Dan Foot responding. After the break, Berry, Marshall, Grosert and a brace from Atchison finished the scoring.

Jolly Potters took the scalp of a higher league team, knocking out neighbours Pennywell Comrades 5-3.

Josh Wilde hit a hat-trick for Pennywell, but star man Adzy McQuillian fired four goals to be star of the show for Potters, with sub Johnson adding a fifth.

Josh Winlow scored the only goal as New Town capitalised on Ryhope Railway’s failure to find the net.

The Vane Arms struggled to beat Fourth Division outfit Tunstall Titans 2-1.

Steven “Nelly” Wright got the first, but Tunstall shocked the Vane when David Lindsay levelled. Star man Mark Wasey, though, fired a late winner.

Hendon pipped The Victory Club 3-2 in a tight showdown.

Lee Owens hit two glorious strikes to give Hendon a 2-0 lead, but Robert Calvert pulled one back. Keith Reay restored the two-goal advantage, but Victory ensured a tense finale when Mountford bagged their second.

Hylton Road Carpets Elite came through a tricky tie, winning 2-1 away to much-fancied TEF RA.

New signing Liam Wooton earned his man of the match award but could not find the net, though Daz Tench opened the scoring. Town End got level through Devlin, but stalwart Steve Farrar came off the bench to finish well for Elite’s winner.

Millfield Oddies were routed 9-0 by visitors Mill View CIU, who taught their counterparts a lesson in finishing.

Colin Hagan started, and scored, for Mill View. Conlin fired a hat-trick followed by a Jonny Atkinson double. In the second half it was more of the same as Burgin, Alhajeri and Simon Scott made it nine.

Craig Neal brace was not enough for Washington Last Orders as Oddies replied each time and got a late winner at 3-2, with Snowdon scoring all three.

George Churchill and Callum Henson had The Dolphin 2-0 up in a great first 10 minutes, but GBSC were too strong and they ran out 6-2 winners.

The Lansdowne’s cup dream was ended by The Cliff, Jay “Ricky” Martin fired Lansdowne in front, but the visitors’ experience saw them hit three unanswered goals to progress.

There were three ties in the Joe Holborn Memorial Cup, with Humbledon & Plains Farm handing out a 4-1 defeat to Hendersons Butchers.

Plains Farm were given an early fright as James Baxter scored after a great counter-attack inside 10 minutes.

But Humbledon proved why they are the best in the league, quickly equalising through local legend Gary Shields. James Fairley then broke Butchers’ hearts with a fine strike for 2-1. Nath O’Neill hit a penalty third, then Fairley struck a decisive fourth.

Sandhills edged past Redhouse Last Orders 1-0 in a tight game. Last Orders missed chances before John Coomber entered the fray from the bench and hit the winner with a fine finish from outside the box.

Silksworth Paragon won 3-1 on penalties after a 2-2 draw at First Division high-fliers Southwick.

Southwick took an early lead through Shaun Fisk, but an interval substitution helped turn it around as Shaun Herron’s shot found the net after a scramble in the box.

Adam Hopps then put Paragon ahead, but Southwick kept grafting and deservedly levelled, with Mark Catcheside on target.

Thorney Close Inn exited the Durham County Sunday Cup, crashing 5-1 to Darlington Haughton Grey Horse.

Kris “Jonna” Johnson hit Thorney’s solitary goal as they were outplayed and outclassed.