Sunderland Sunday League: Noble mission a success as Thorney Close Inn march on

Hendon (green and white) take on Hebburn Iona in the Durham Sunday Cup
Hendon (green and white) take on Hebburn Iona in the Durham Sunday Cup
Have your say

Thorney Close Inn needed extra time to overcome Consett Demi 5-4 away from home in an epic Durham County Sunday Cup second preliminary round tie.

Captain marvel Michael Noble shone for Thorney, bagging a hat-trick, while man of the match David Robinson also notched before Peter Greenwell popped up with the winner in extra time.

Henderson Butchers were back to winning ways after a few terrible league results. Carl Old’s brace set them on their way to a 4-1 win over Peterlee Catholic Club. Young James Cassidy and Andy Gartland finished the scoring.

Carl Waters hit a brace, along with goals from Jordan Howell and Jonathan Glenwright, to give Pennywell Comrades a deserved 4-1 win over Thornley Harrys Bar.

Sean Sweeney was at it again as he fired four goals to put Willington Cottles to the sword in an 8-2 victory for SR Dons.

David Hall, Marc Dale, Craig Watson and sub Robbie Williamson rounded off the scoring.

New Town shocked Whickham Highwayman with an early five-goal flurry to make sure their name was in the hat for the next round.

Scott King (2), Brad Foster, Alex Dobinson and Josh Winslow did the damage. The Geordie team then got back in the game with four goals, but New Town were on a high and a double from Sean Collard made sure of a 7-4 success.

Willow Pond came out on top 2-1 in their all-Sunderland tie at Redhouse Last Orders.

Mark Cresswell put Willow in front in the first half, but Andrew Arnold pulled Redhouse level with a fine effort. But man of the moment Neil McNulty, who is enjoying life at Willow since his recent transfer, came up trumps and pounced for a late winner.

The Royal Marine won a thriller 4-3 at TC Plastics, but they needed extra time to get through.

Leighton, Stephenson and Stokoe hit Plastics’ goals, but two-goal Marc Collins and Peter Marshall levelled things to take it to extra time and then Maggiore bagged the winner.

Hendon did just enough to better Hebburn Iona 3-2, with star man Lee Owens having a hand in all of Hendon’s goals. Clayton “Baywatch” Davis hit a brace and Callum Hope grabbed the winner.

Dale Spence and Keiran Martin were on form has they hit six between them as Ryhope Foresters outgunned hosts Tow Law 7-0.

Spence hit four and Martin a brace to ease Foresters into the next round, while Dan Armstrong grabbed the seventh of the game.

Wing wizard David Stevens was among the goals again as he hit a hat-trick as Farringdon Detached cruised to a 7-1 victory at Stockton Storytellers United.

Sean Archbold scored twice, then Collinson and Carl Burns sent Detached into the next round.

Matthew Wilkinson and Jonathan Atkinson struck in vain for Wearmouth CW Juniors as they lost out 7-2 at Marsden CW.

Connor Slee got Ryhope Top House’s solitary goal as impressive Blackhall Hardwick sailed in the next round, winning 5-1. Adam McCabe was man of the match for Ryhope.

The Harbour View were sent packing after losing out to Ferryhill Dynamos on penalties. Jack Rounce got a double in normal time, but it ended 2-2 and prolific marksman Paul Muir missed the decisive penalty in the shoot-out.

Fourth Division leaders East Rainton were unlucky not to get anything from their tie as they took Easington HMS Victory to extra time before going down 3-2.

Craig Hennis and Kurtis Anderson hit the goals to cancel out Easington’s strikes, but, in the dying minutes, HMS Victory struck a killer blow to win the game.

Vane Arms endured a bad day as they had New and McKenna sent off and were duly thumped 5-0 at Washington Sandpiper.

It was a day to forget for Welcome Tavern, who were hammered 10-2 away from home against South Shields Vets Reunited. Seldon hit both goals for Welcome.

Alexander and Charlton got The Stumble Inn into an early lead, but it was easy pickings for visitors Ouston Cherry Tree after that, with five goals seeing off the home team. Ross Antliff hit Stumble’s third consolation.

Wear United had to switch their tie to Birtley Coach and Horses and succumbed to a 7-1 defeat, with Dan Musther firing the consolation.

Southwick eased through 7-2 against Seaton Carew.