Sunderland Sunday League: Magical Potters’ Jolly good show in cup final

Have your say

JOLLY Potters secured their first silverware by beating The Stumble Inn 2-0 in the Third Division Subsidiary Cup final.

Stumble took the game to the Potters but poor finishing would eventually come back to haunt them.

Potters took the lead midway through the first half after McQuillan found the net after great play on the flank.

Chances again went begging for the Stumble lads and Potters capitalised, with Webster finishing off a classic breakaway goal.

Potters held on for the win and manager Gary Shemmings was basking In the glory as the cup was held high.

New Town will meet GBSC in tomorrow’s Fourth Division Subsidiary Cup final at Wearmouth CW (10.30am).

They produced a fantastic display, in awful conditions, to overturn a 3-0 semi-final first-leg deficit against Town End Farm RA, winning 5-2 on the day to take the tie to penalties.

Mark Mhlanga was on fire and produced a stylish hat-trick, but Town End hit back with a Luke Bell double.

In the second half, New Town levelled the aggregate with two Josh Winlow strikes. That ensured a shoot-out and New Town won 4-2, with star man Lloyd Anderson saving two crucial penalties.

Martin Metcalfe was the hero for RCA Grangetown Florists as his solitary goal sank Myers 1-0 to cement third place in the Premier Division. Kyle Sumner stood out for the visitors.

Florists visit Silksworth Paragon in the final league match of the season tomorrow.

Season overview:

Humbledon & Plains Farm secured their fifth consecutive Premier Division title and only Farringdon ISL again put up a fight against them.

Humbledon need to thank James Fairley for his excellent goalscoring contribution in league and cup – he finished on 31 goals for the season, with Mark Davison close behind with 30 league and cup strikes.

The Premier’s golden boot, though, goes to RCA Grangetown Florists’ Andy Place. He has currently notched a total of 54 goals with one league game remaining.

Hylton Castle TWR’s Adam Drysdale and Scott Mallaburn, of Sandhills, look like they will have to share the award for most man of the match awards. They both stand at nine awards each, though Drysdale has two cup finals to look forward to too add to his tally

Hendersons Butchers recorded back-to-back championships and promotion as they took the First Division by storm.

Manager Shaun Graham and second-in-command Lee Haldane have worked hard behind the scenes to bring in fine talent and also keep the Premier clubs at bay. The Butchers will look to achieve further success as they have two cup finals still to play – against South Hylton Potters in the First Division Subsidiary Cup at Ford Quarry tomorrow (10.30am) and against Premier side Hylton Castle TWR in next Sunday’s Total Sport Challenge Cup final.

Southwick came a close second in the league and took part in classic games with Butchers. They look forward to a return to the top flight.

The top marksman was Jordan Birnie, with 20 league and cup goals for Ryhope Top House. Goalkeeper David Passmore earned the most man of the match votes with a total of nine for The Ashbrooke.

Farringdon Detached were favourites to be crowned champions in Division Two, but they fell by the wayside and Vane Arms produced a fantastic unbeaten run to take the league title.

They had a minor blip near the end of the season but soon got back to winning ways to pip Hylton Road Carpets Elite, who finished runners-up.

Stephen Pickhard’s men will have a lot to do in the First Division next season if they want to make a statement. Elite had Gav Murton fly the flag and lead the way with an impressive 31 goals in his first season. Aiden Stoker (Lakeside) finished with 10 man of the match awards and David Snowdon, Julio Arca and Robert Calvert came close behind, each recording seven.

Hendon ran out easy winners in Division Three and finished an impressive 14 points clear of second spot. They only lost twice in the league – the key to their success.

Lee Owens was the star for Hendon and finished on 12 man of the match awards and 21 goals, while Hendon’s Keith Reay was top scorer with 24 goals. But the league golden boot went to Jolly Potters’ Adam McQuillan, who fired 27 goals.

Town End Farm RA’s first season in the league turned out to be a very impressive one as they finished Fourth Division champions, closely followed by fellow debutants New Town.

Both teams regularly chalked up high-scoring wins, with Town End scoring 110 league goals and New Town finishing with an unbelievable 127.

Luke Bell hit 44 goals in his first season for Town End and Josh Winlow fired 27 for New Town, but the golden boot went to Ashbrooke Sports Club’s Jordan Ridley, who was on fire on a weekly basis and finished top scorer in the entire league with a total of 57 goals. He also finished with 14 man of the match awards to cap an excellent season.