Sunderland Sunday League: Kane is able as Southwick pip Lansdowne in epic thriller

Have your say

The Lansdowne and Southwick produced a classic Total Sport Challenge Trophy tie, with the 120 minutes of of entertainment a credit to the league.

Southwick finally snatched a 5-4 win in extra time.

Mark Fisk’s 25-yarder had Southwick ahead at half-time, but an inspiring team talk from Lansdowne assistant manager David Smith rallied the hosts. Lewis Lynch grabbed a deserved equaliser after a great move and The Lansdowne started to pile the pressure on.

Southwick weathered the storm, showing great resilience, and Gavin Foot powered home a header from a corner, followed by a Paul Kane strike, for a 3-1 lead.

Sub Tommy Alderson threw Lansdowne a lifeline, then, in the 92nd minute, he sensationally levelled at 3-3, finishing off a fine Lansdowne move to take the game to extra time.

Southwick displayed clinical finishing in the extra half hour, with Kane completing his hat-trick, firing two quick first-half goals. Matthew Frost responded for 5-4, but stand-in Southwick keeper Shaun McGregor made a “world-class” save in the final seconds to clinch an epic victory.

Premier Division quality earned Silksworth Paragon a close 2-1 win at Victoria Gardens as they were second best for most of the game.

Stephen “Nelly” Wright had the Fourth Division hosts ahead, but Humble missed a penalty and Paragon capitalised to win it with two goals in the final two minutes from Lewis Herron and super sub Daniel Prater.

The Royal Marine came out on top 2-1 against near-neighbours Wearmouth CW Juniors.

Greg Little rolled back the years with a goal for Marine before James Dickinson equalised. Adam Maggoire smashed home a late home winner.

Redhouse Last Orders ran out convincing 5-1 winners at Sunderland Railway Club as Marc Moon and Paul Stokoe both grabbed doubles.

Anth Rogerson’s great finish pulled one back, but Keiron Brown soon hit Orders’ fifth.

Fourth Division leaders East Rainton showed their class in defeated Harbour View 3-0 away.

Jon and Lee Gaunt grabbed their customary goals, with Oliver Hotchkiss hitting the third.

The Board Inn took the scalp of Second Division The Stumble Inn in the Billy Pemberton Memorial Cup, winning 3-1 away.

Hot-shot Sam Wigham hit the first and Cam Fairweather doubled the lead before Stumble capitalised on a defensive error to pull one back. Man of the match Matthew Ellison hit the decisive third for Board.

Third Division Ashbrooke Sports Club needed extra time to overcome promotion favourites Jolly Potters 5-3.

It was a feisty affair and the cards were being dished out like a poker tournament, with Potters’ Jack Purvis given his marching orders.

Renton, Perry and ex-SAFC man Paul Robinson struck for Ashbrooke, but Lewis Dodd and a brace from Webster levelled it up.

Clark Stead fired a double in extra time to send Ashbrooke through.

TC Plastics progressed with a 5-2 victory at The Dolphin.

Sweeney and Wilkin hit Dolphin’s goals, but Keiron Stokoe (2), Canavan, Tench and Powell gave Plastics the edge.

SR Dons squeezed past RCA Grangetown Florists 3-2 to reach the League Cup fifth round.

Andy Place hit both for RCA, but two-goal Sean Sweeney and Craig Watson steered Dons through.