Sunderland Sunday League: Humbledon survive huge scare to lift League Cup in extra time

Have your say

SOUTH Hylton Potters gave Premier Division champions Humbledon & Plains Farm the shock of their lives in the Hendersons Butchers-backed League Cup final.

The First Division side stormed into a 2-0 lead, thanks to a well-taken double from Paul Maw.

But Plainsy pulled a goal back through James Fairley.

The Potters were trying to run the clock down, but Plainsy typically scored an equaliser with seconds to spare, courtesy of Mark Davison to take the game to extra time.

The underdog Potters could not recover from the setback of the late equaliser, though, and Plains Farm sealed the deal with strikes from Jonny Davis and Joe Walton in the second half of extra time to triumph 4-2.

Humbledon go for a third piece of silverware in tomorrow’s Total Sports Challenge Cup final, against First Division champions Hendersons Butchers, at Ford Quarry (10.30am kick-off).

RCA Grangetown Florists defeated Sandhills 3-1 to send them down to the First Division.

The hosts needed a win to give them a chance of escaping relegation, but RCA were just to strong for them. Andy Place and a double from Metcalfe gave Florists the win, while McCabe replied.

Hylton Castle TWR played out their final league game and dominated Guide Post from start to finish to record a thumping 6-1 win.

Doubles from Hodgson and Monson started the scoring and goalkeeper Chris Sproat hit the Guide’s consolation goal.

Cresswell and Blackett finished the scoring to end TWR’s season on a high.

On Thursday, RCA Grangetown Florists edged a 1-0 win over Myers, with Martin Metcalfe notching.

Earlier, Florists led 2-0 and 5-3 at Farringdon ISL with goals from Metcalfe, John Turvey (2), Andy Place and Hall, only for the second-placed side to hit back to win an epic clash 6-5.

Luke Richardson pulled one back and Paul Taylor equalised at 2-2 on the half hour mark, then Farringdon went 3-2 up with the goal of the game from Adam Platts, who finished brilliantly into the top corner.

After Florists regained the initiative at 5-3, Taylor and a great solo effort from Luke Page made it 5-5.

Ben Riding then turned the game on its head after he volleyed home the winner from a corner.

David Rush and Lewis Hutchinson received straight red cards in the 90th minute, for protesting to the referee after having a penalty appeal turned down.

Neil Blue was the star man for Myers as his brace set them on the way to a comfortable 4-2 win over SR Dons.

James Cook increased Myers’ lead before Emery and Noble gave Dons a lifeline, but it was all Myers in the second half and Stephen Moody made sure of the win.

In the Second Division, Hylton Road Carpets Elite cemented a second-place finish with a 5-1 demolition of Oddies.

Elite sought revenge on Oddies after their defeat the previous week took them out of the running for the league title.

David Snowdon put Oddies in front, but Elite hit back strongly to lead 3-1 by the break, with Brazier, Tench and Innes on target.

Wooton and Anderson sealed the win with further efforts in the second half.

The Vane Arms turned up to face the Harbour View without a care after sealing the title the previous week.

The team formation was mixed up and goalkeeper Chris Roach led the line up top and was first to find the net.

Harbour View then quickly got back into the game and romped 4-1 up, but the spirit of the Vane shone through and they managed to salvage a point after further goals from Ben Stokoe, sub Graham Bosanko and Luke Clayton.

New Town and The Lansdowne shared the points in an entertaining 2-2 draw in Division Four.

New Town, who ended their fantastic debut season as runners-up in the league, were two goals up, courtesy of Josh Winlow and Gary McIlduff, but Tommy Smith’s men played hard right to the end and goals from Lewis Lynch and John Hope Hindmarsh secured a point.

Kristian Tyson starred for Lansdowne, with Elliot Salichi best for the hosts.

Ashbrooke Sports Club enjoyed another easy win, 4-1 away to plucky Tunstall Titans.

Star man Jordan Ridley hit a brace to see him finish top scorer for Ashbrooke.

Callum Milne replied for Titans, but it did not affect the Ashbrooke lads as Josh Perry and Michael Brown sealed the victory.

Nick Bell shone for Titans.

Earlier, New Town recorded a fine 4-1 triumph at GBSC. Warris, Dobinson, Cameron and Elliot Salichi netted, with Wharton replying.