Sunderland Sunday League: Humbledon & Plains Farm on brink of another Premier title

Have your say

HUMBLEDON & Plains Farm will clinch the Premier Division championship if they win at Myers tomorrow.

Two more victories have taken Plainsy to the brink.

They narrowly beat plucky Ryhope CW 2-0.

Mark Davison scored the important goals to give Plainsy the win, while Neil Jones shone throughout for bottom club Ryhope, who can still beat the drop.

On Thursday, Humbledon eased to a 6-0 win at RCA Grangetown Florists, which leaves them three points shy of the title.

Andy Place was on fire again as he scored a double to help RCA Grangetown Florists down SR Dons 4-1.

Star man Lewis Hutchinson ran the show for Florists and set up Turvey’s two goals. John Noble replied for the Dons, but it was too little, too late

Silksworth Paragon came from a goal down to secure a 2-1 win over The Guide Post.

James Slack put the Guide in the lead, and they were comfortable until Lee Marsh was given his marching orders.

Paragon got the ball down and started to play, and Nath Burrell levelled things. Star man Lewis Herron capped a fine display by scoring the winner late in the second half to break the Guide Post’s hearts.

Steven Thompson and Damon Ellis earned Myers a 2-1 victory at Silksworth Paragon on Thursday, with Reece McMann responding.

Keeper Ryan Graham starred for Myers, with Burrell best for Paragon.

In the Fourth Division, GBSC comfortably saw off Railway Club with a 4-1 win to stay second.

GBSC were handed a big advantage when Railway Club had Alex Mustard sent off red early in the first half.

Sam Wigham hit a double, followed by a Houghton goal.

Richie Timm came off the bench for the Railway to fire past Broomfield in the GBSC goal, but substitute Micky Wharton then volleyed home for GBSC to make it 4-1.

Town End Farm RA went goal crazy against Jollies as they dominated from the kick-off before winning 11-0.

Devlin, Greener, Stevens and Stephenson all chipped in with a goal.

However, much of the plaudits go to Town End’s strike force of Luke Bell and Josh Farquhar, who hit seven goals between them.

Bell notched four and Farquar finished the game with a hat-trick to complete the rout.

New Town recorded an easy 5-0 win against Unite New Herrington Club in the second leg of their Fourth Division Sudsidiary Cup tie to help ease their pain from their cup final defeat to the same opponents.

Warris, Race and Holland gave New Town a 3-0 half-time lead.

Their star man was Mark Mhlanga, who was unlucky not to add his name to the scoresheet, but he did have an hand in goals from Milburn and King.

In the Third Division, Wear United were quoted as saying they produced their worst performance of their season after Jolly Potters hammered them 9-0.

The victors’ star man was Adam McQuillan as he hit four goals.

Gary Baker and Micky Copeland both scored braces, and Lewis Cummings claimed the last goal. Barnes shone for United in goal.

Darren Naisbett was the toast of Washington Colliery after he fired a fine hat-trick past Chris Wright, in the Ryhope Railway Inn goal, to inspire a 4-1 win.

Ben Rowlands nodded home Vincent’s set-piece to pull a goal back for Ryhope Railway Inn, but Steven Young increased Washington’s lead late in the second to give them the victory.

South Hylton Potters defeated Ryhope Top House 8-1 as they look to finish third in the First Division,

Ryan Bussey fired four goals to set them on their way to victory, while further strikes from Martin, Huntley, Cook and Harper sealed the win.

Potters also won on Thursday, sinking Redhouse Last Orders 4-0. Connor O’Neill stood out for the hosts.

In the Second Division, Oddies put a spanner in the works for leaders Vane Arms after they easily beat them 5-3 at Thompson Park.

It looks like the Vane manager Steven Pickhard got his team selection wrong, and Oddies took adsvantage.

Anth Clifton ran the Vane’s defence ragged, and scored four goals in the process.

Cushingham and Clayton pulled goals back for the Vane, but Darren Davie increased Oddies’ lead to five.

Fountain came off the bench to hit a glorious volley, but Oddies held firm and ran out comfortable winners.

The Royal Marine recorded another impressive victory as they beat Farringdon Detached 3-1.

Marshall, Maggiore and star man Robinson gave them the win, while Rhy Brown replied for Farringdon.

Farringdon ISL edged home 1-0 in their Total Sport Challenge Trophy semi-final against Hylton Castle TWR.

Luke Page shone for Farringdon, as did Ken Gordon for Hylton, but neither could find the net.

David “Busta” Paul entered the field midway through the second half, and he duly found the net, beating impressive TWR keeper Chris Smith.

Farringdon now meet Henderson’s Butchers in the final.

Henderson’s Butchers booked their place by continuing their great cup run by beating Premier side SR Dons 2-0.

Star man Kev Humble scored a fine solo goal to settle the nerves, and stalwart Carl Old popped up with the decisive strike to dump Dons out.

Charlton stood out for Dons.

In the second leg of the Third Division Sudsidiary Cup semi-final, The Stumble Inn got the better of Hendon.

Hendon took a 1-0 lead into the tie from the first leg, but were completely embarrassed as Stumble battered them 8-3 to confirm their place in the final, winning 8-4 on aggregate.

Davis, Imeson and Reay scored for Hendon, but the Stumble players were on fire.

Steel hit a double, John Thubron grabbed a hat-trick and further goals from Dixon, Dodsworth and Barnes finished Hendon off.