Sunderland Sunday League: Hendon crowned Third Division champions - surely in record time

Have your say

HENDON clinched the first silverware of the season, landing the Division Three championship before January was out.

The new champions walloped Washington Last Orders 7-1 to seal promotion, with their visitors lending a helping hand by having Neil Cook sent off for two bookable offences.

Star man Clayton Davis bagged a brace to set Hendon on their way. Owens, Reay and Welsh added to the scoreline before Gavin Neal replied, then further goals from subs Newby and Adam Campbell settled the game and made sure the home side could hoist the trophy.

Thomas Smurthwaite grabbed a hat-trick as The Stumble Inn thrashed Washington Wetherspoons 6-1.

Wetherspoons saw Keith Scott volley home, but their joy was shortlived as the Stumble lads increased the lead with goals from Steel, Charlton and Dan Gardiner.

The Vane Arms closed the gap on Second Division leaders Farringdon Detached to just two points.

They dominated hosts Pennywell Comrades and ran out 5-1 winners. After Aiden Raeburn notched for Comrades, the Vane took over.

Cushingham hit a a brace, Bosanko popped up with a fine strike and Stevey “chocolate” Fountain found the net with a left-foot rocket.

But the goal of the game went to Adam Wasey, who made a fool of his marker, dropping his shoulder and dinking the ball into the top corner to finish the scoring

Willow Pond and The Royal Marine shared the spoils in a six-goal thriller – as neither team could keep the lead.

Willow had Gales, McDermott and Chris Taylor on target, while Marc Robinson hit a brace for Marine and it was left to Marc Robson to come off the bench to prod a late equaliser.

Silksworth Paragon recorded their easiest win of the season with a convincing 8-1 Premier Division success at Sandhills.

Paragon had a host of scorers. Hopps, McCain, Burrell got a goal each, Lewis Herron chipped in with a brace but hot shot Gary Barnfather stole the show with a hat-trick. Swinney replied late on for Sandhills.

In the Fourth Division, table-toppers Town End Farm RA made no mistake against Millfield Oddies, who could only muster eight players and duly paid the price with a 12-0 hammering.

The goals flowed through a Stephenson hat-trick, then Keiron Mitchell hit a brace.

Farquhar, Cook and Corey Bell all chipped in with goals, but the star man was Luke Bell, who fired four goals for Town End to continue his fine goalscoring streak.

The Oddfellows Arms succumbed to another league defeat to cement their place at the foot of the league – as Unite New Herrington Club moved up to third from bottom thanks to their 4-2 away triumph.

Tony Ganley and Lewis Wood scored for Oddfellows, but, after Liam Collinson saw red, Herrington took advantage and goals from Philip Gowland, Kris Kane and Matthew O’Neill (2) secured them the points.

New Town dominated Jollies, who only fielded nine players, and ran out 6-0 winners.

Jack Race was star man for New Town as he had a hand in most of the goals. Elliott Salichi, Thompson, Milburn, Foster, Hennis and Charlie Salichi all found the net.

GBSC edged a tight game 2-1 against Martin Telfer Carpets. After the Carpetmen took an early lead, GBSC sealed all three points with a Sam Wigham double.

Thorney Close Inn were let down by their own goalkeeper after he failed to get out of bed – and they ended up exiting the Joe Holborn Memorial Cup in a penalty shoot-out to Guide Post.

Alan Surtees took one for the team and donned the keeper’s jersey, and things looked good for Thorney when they took the lead through Paul Taylor.

But Guide hit back with a great finish from David Mitchell.

The game went to extra time at 1-1, but, after both teams cancelled each other out, it was left to the dreaded penalty shoot-out. Guide won it 4-3, with star man Chris Sproat saving the day in goal as he kept out the decisive penalty.