Sunderland Sunday League: Grant aid for AFC Wearside

Have your say

AFC WEARSIDE keeper Grant Newman earned the man of the match award after a fine display between the sticks inspired a 3-2 Third Division win over Washington Wetherspoons.

Josh Campbell got Wearside in front with a couple of goals, but Smith and Thompson levelled it up.

Newman kept the Wetherspoons forwards at bay then Wearside grabbed the winner when Donnelly volleyed past the diving keeper.

Jolly Potters are still on a downward slope, with another defeat at the hands of Washington New Tavern.

Patterson (2), Booth and Harrison had Tavern four up before Bussey fired a second-half brace in reply.

The Stumble Inn easily beat The Dolphin in a one-sided 5-1 success. Coomber continued his goalscoring feat for Dolphin, but goals from Chapman, Dodsworth and Perri Agnew (3) saw Stumble home.

Wear United produced an awful display as Washington Last Orders cruised home 10-2.

Earles and Brown replied to Neil Maddison’s hat-trick, with Short, Humby, Martins, Neal, Bermas (2) and Stefamski also on target.

Hendon are still flying high, thanks to a 3-0 win at Washington Colliery. Lee Owens, Mick Gilby and Adam Campbell grabbed the vital goals.

Sandhills came out on top in a feisty Premier Division affair against Hylton Castle TWR, winning 6-4.

Scott Mallaburn hit three goals to continue his great form for Sandhills.

TWR had Lee Blackett as stand-in keeper and he was given no support as the home side fired another three past him, through Sanders, Lynn and McCabe. Moon, Thubron, McGowan and Danny Forster replied.

Dave Parnaby was man of the match for Westmount as he did his best to keep Humbledon and Plains Farm’s forwards at bay.

But Mark Davison proved why he is one of the best around, firing a hat-trick past him in a 4-0 win for the leaders. Joe Walton hit the fourth.

Luke Page was star man for Farringdon ISL as he notched a hat-trick in his role as a makeshift striker in a 7-2 home win over Guide Post.

Stalwart Paul Taylor hit a brace before Andy Adey and John Spence pulled goals back for Post.

Chris Pearson and Platts finished the scoring late in the game.

Tommy Smith’s Lansdowne youngsters bounced back in style after their cup defeat, with a 10-0 Fourth Division success at Jollies.

Jack Stanger pulled the strings in the middle of the park and had a hand in a few goals. Hope-Hindmarch missed several chances but still managed to grab a hat-trick, while Lewis Lynch also grabbed three.

Mutimer, Alderson, Tyson and Shaun Smith also notched, while Jay McClaren shone for Jollies.

Martin Telfer Carpets recorded another victory, 5-2 at Tunstall Titans.

Steve Trotter and Brent Brooke both hit doubles, but Tunstall replied through Wilson and Reynolds. John Cullen fired into an empty net after a goalkeeping mistake to settle the issue.

Unite New Herrington Club edged home 4-3 against Railway Club, despite only having 11 players available.

Cam Marshall hit two to get Railway on track, but Herrington hit back through Snelling, Jordan and a Kris Kane double. Stephen Stewart then hit a late goal for Railway to give Herrington a fright, but they held on for the win.

Ashbrooke Sports Club eased home 6-0 against Millfield Oddies, with star men Mattherw Teasdale and Jordan Ridley both bagging hat-tricks, Scott Lemming shone in goal for Oddies.

Another high-scoring game saw New Town hit nine unanswered goals against Oddfellows Arms. Mhlanga, Clark and Salichi all bagged doubles, backed by Marsden, Thompson and McIlduff.

In Division One, Steven Wilson saw red for Steels Athletic and let Henderson Butchers back in the game after Copeland and Webster had put them 2-0 up.

After Wilson went, Butchers levelled matters through Carl Old and Richie Jordan, but the script was written for new signing Kevin Humble, who danced around a few tackles and rifled high into the top corner for the winner at 3-2.

Southwick moved eight points clear at the top after a 4-1 defeat of Redhouse Last Orders. Michael Bulmer (2), Mark Catcheside and Nath Robinson did the damage, with Callum Waddle striking a great free-kick response.

Stackyard endured another poor result as they went down 4-1 to Grange Park.

McKeown had Stackyard in front, but it soon went downhill. Ryan Rowe equalised, then Ben Scott fired a brilliant hat-trick to seal victory, despite the second-half dismissal of Nath Crighton.

The Cliff and Willow Pond served up a tight game early on, but the hosts came good to run out 8-2 winners in Division Two.

Grant Carr put Willow in front, but Lavender drew Cliff level. Connor Gales then saw red for Willow the floodgates opened.

Platten grabbed a brace, as did Hargrave. Willow pulled one back through Mooney, but The Cliff went for the throat and Jack Honour hit another two goals before Stokoe finished the scoring.

Mill View CIU are on a poor run but shared the points with Welcome Tavern, drawing 3-3.

Glen Lister hit a brace for Welcome, but Conlin and Atkinson drew Mill View level. Callaghan came off the bench to put the visitors ahead, but Mark Lister nodded Tavern’s point-saver.

Farringdon Detached beat Hylton Road Carpets Elite 4-2 to jump to the top of the league.

Elite led 2-1, with Tench and Murton netting, but Farringdon introduced Collinson and McKeown and that turned the game on its head. Collinson soon levelled, adding to Wolfendale’s opener, but McKeown starred, firing two goals in a classic smash and grab victory.

Oddies and The Victory Club produced an entertaining 4-4 draw.

Andrew Smith hit a hat-trick for Oddies, backed by Danny Snowdon, while Scott Hunter and Robert Calvert both hit braces for Victory.

Paul Stephenson’s hat-trick was enough to earn Lakeside SSC a much-needed 3-0 win against struggling Pennywell Comrades.