Sunderland Sunday League: GBSC spot on to complete sensational semi-final revival

Have your say

GBSC sparked incredible scenes at Silksworth as they sensationally overturned a 5-1 first-leg defeat to storm into the Fourth Division Subsidiary Cup final.

Showing the panache which saw Bayern Munich take a leaf out of their book in midweek, GBSC finished the 90 minutes 4-0 winners away to Ashbrooke Sports Club to level the aggregate at 5-5.

Michael Wharton grabbed a brace for the Grindon lads, with Liam Houghton and Jordan Dagg also firing past Daniel Hunter in the Ashbrooke goal.

Ashbrooke did make it a little easier for GBSC after Michael Brown was given a straight red card.

The game then went to penalties and it was obviously written in the stars that GBSC would win as they edged home 4-3 to dash the home side’s dreams and earn a place in the May 10 final.

Jordan Ridley was Ashbrooke’s top performer, with Fraser New the inspiration for GBSC

In the other half of the draw, Fourth Division champions TEF RA maintained their great season with a 3-0 first-leg victory over New Town, with a cup final place well and truly in their sights.

New Town were beaten with ease as Stephen Devlin, Josh Farquhar and Kieron Mitchell made surprisingly light work of the league runners-up.

Gareth Greener starred for TEF, with keeper Lloyd Anderson best for the visitors.

The return is next weekend.

South Hylton Potters sealed their place in the First Division Subsidiary Cup semi-final by completing a 4-2 aggregate win over Thorney Close Inn.

Thorney Close had it all to do in the second leg as Potters had won the first leg 3-1, but the task proved beyond them as a 1-1 draw took Potters through.

Ryan Bussey struck for Potters, while Surtees replied. Keeper Jonathan Kilner starred for Potters, who meet Stackyard over two legs in the semi-final and won the away first leg 5-0 on Thursday.

It’s all to play for in the second leg of the Third Division Subsidiary Cup semi-final, after Jolly Potters and Ryhope Railway Inn served up a 2-2 draw.

Copeland and Baker notched for Potters to take a 2-0 lead, but they let Railway back into the game and Craig Whelam scored an impressive brace. Craig Vincent stood out for Railway