Sunderland Sunday League: Farringdon hail great Brett’s super show in County Cup

Have your say

Farringdon ISL advanced to the third round of the Durham County Sunday Cup after beating a tough Whiteleas Harton and Westoe side with a very professional performance.

Brett Gillatt hit the opener and had a hand in the other goals, which earned him the man of the match award.

David “Busta” Paul hit his customary brace before the visitors replied.

But Farringdon ensured their place in the last 16 when Ian Redman nodded home to seal a 4-1 victory.

In the next round, they will host Sedgefield St Edmund’s from the Durham Sunday League, in a tie to be played on January 10.

Durham County Sunday Cup, third round draw: Hylton Castle TWR v Stockton Portrrack, Farringdon ISL v Sedgefield St Edmund’s, SR Dons v Norton George & Dragon, Peterlee Helford Utd v Stockton Hardwick SC, Newton Aycliffe WMC v Boldon Shack or Washington Cricket Club, Darlington Haughton Grey Horse v Pelton RAOB, East Stanley WMC v Middlestone Moor Masons Arms, Witton Park Rose & Crown or Dawdon Welfare Park v Washington The Stella. Ties: January 10

Tom Smith is in talks with his chairman for a pay rise after he guided The Lansdowne to their 10th successive win in the Third Division.

The fantastic run was extended with a convincing 5-1 win over Martin Telfer Carpets. Matty Frost hit a well-taken double, followed by goals from Rhys Jukes, Lewis Lynch and Jay Martin.

Steven Trotter hit Carpets’ consolation goal. Kristian Tyson shone for the home side, with Wayne Henderson best for the visitors.

Sunderland Railway Club produced a dominant display to brush aside Penshaw CC with ease in a 7-1 romp.

Paul Newton-Eddy hit a double, followed by goals from Paul Carr, Thomas Tansey and Daniel Callaghan to make it 5-0 at the break. Hapless Penshaw did find the net after Andrew Hayden hit a sublime strike which nestled in the top corner, but Railway Club then made sure of the result when Adam Smith and Stephen Stewart both fired past Dominic O’Neill In the Penshaw goal.

RCA Grangetown Florists picked up three valuable points to pull them away from the Premier Division relegation zone after beating Ryhope Foresters 3-2.

The Foresters have now slipped into the bottom three, courtesy of the derby defeat.

Spence and Slack had the home side in the lead, but Florists levelled things each time and eventually found the winner. Andy Place and a double from John Turvey did the damage for the visitors, with Michael McVay star man.

Southwick secured their first win under their new management regime, beating a youthful Silksworth Paragon side 4-2.

The home side welcomed back Kyle Sumner and he went right into the matchday squad, while Paragon could only call on 11 players.

James Chapman was the toast of Southwick after he found the net early on to give the home side the lead, and he finished with the man-of-the-match accolade.

Southwick legend Anth Ross fired home a clinical brace to increase the lead, before Paragon got their hosts on the back foot and pulled two goals back through Lewis Lynn and Lewis Herron.

But it was to be Southwick’s day and Anth Stokell fired home the killer fourth goal.

Redhouse Last Orders made an massive statement in the First Division after a thumping 4-0 win over Willow Pond.

Willow had a strong squad, but Redhouse dominated the game from start to finish.

Marc Moon continued his great goalscoring run for Last Orders, netting another double to set his team on their way. Paul Stokoe finished a fine passing move to increase the scoreline to 3-0.

Willow Pond waste a few chances to get back into the game, but they could not cope with the the home side’s threat and Connor O’Neill hit home a thunderous strike to cap a fine performance from Redhouse.

James Butler shone for the home team and Mark Cresswell was star man for Willow.

Ryhope Top House came out on top 5-3 against Oddies in their mid-table clash, a body blow to their visitors, who are desperate for points after slipping to a ninth defeat.

Top House, on the other hand, are hoping to climb the table. They had Carl Younger hitting a hat-trick, followed by goals from Ryan Wood and Elliot Tench.

Oddies did reduce the deficit slightly afterthe Snowdon boys found the net.

TC Plastics maintained their unbeaten Second Division record with a 2-0 victory at home to AFC Wearside.

Star man Andy Morris showed his class for TC Plastics and held his defence well.

At the other end, Luke Bell was on hand to put his team in front with a typically cool finish. Leighton Stephenson secured the win with a second goal.

Wearside defended well, but, with the home side being on a fine run of form, there was only going to be one winner.

Hendon Athletic made hard work of securing all three points against basement boys Ryhope CW in the only Fourth Division game to get the green light.

Hendon started well and carved out a few good chances, but their forward line could not beat Ryhope’s keeper.

Athletic, though, took a first-half lead after great attacking play down the flank by wing wizard Martin Deacon. He found Martin Hope, in the box, who duly slid the ball home. Ryhope were battling well and causing Hendon problems and they got the equaliser from their first corner. The ball was whipped in with pace and the wind made the ball swing into the top corner after the keeper failed to palm it away.

Athletic battled away and tried to play football and again they found an outlet on the wing, this time it was Hope turning provider as he sent a searching ball into the box and stalwart Micky Connor was on hand to finish the move with diving header.

Resilient Ryhope kept attacking and their second equaliser came out of nothing. Hendon’s keeper cleared the ball onto the head of a Ryhope defender and his clearance put the visitors on the attack, with their forward taking a touch and neatly turning his defender to send a scorching effort into the top corner.

It was 2-2 at the break and the introduction of fresh legs proved crucial for Hendon, who created a series of chances from the off.

Hope’s exquisite ball with the outside of his boot found Anth Carter, who netted with an effortless sidefoot finish into the top corner.

Many more oppportunities went begging, but Athletic finally grabbed a decisive fourth goal, Hope capping a fine display by firing his second goal after a loose ball fell to him.

Ryhope did manage to find a late goal after they ran through the Hendon players as if they weren’t there to fire hard and low past the keeper.