Sunderland Sunday League: David makes Steels win Arms race

Have your say

NEW signing David Armsdan capped a fine debut performance as he notched a match-winning double for Steels Athletic.

 Armsdan’s double secured an important 2-1 First Division win over Redhouse Last Orders, only their second of the season, with Stokoe replying.

The future is looking bleak for Gatsby, as they have lost several of their best players and went down again, 4-1 at The Ashbrooke.

Luke Olabode hit a hat-trick before Alan Golightly scored for the visitors.

Late on, Mark Green’s fine free-kick completed the scoring.

Thorney Close Inn bounced back from a poor County Cup display with a convincing 5-1 success over Grange Park. Collins grabbed a brace and Robinson hit a third before half-time. Grange pulled one back, but Gibson and Greenwell finished the scoring.

Another loss for Stackyard saw them drop further down the pecking order. Ryhope Top House took advantage of their poor form and triumphed 4-1, courtesy of Jake Taylor and a John Birnie treble. McKeown replied.

Rock-bottom Pennywell Comrades upset the form book as they beat second-placed The Cliff 2-0 in Division Two.

Johnson and Cumming earned the points, and a climb of one place, for Pennywell.

Mill View CIU were brought crashing down to earth after their previous 9-0 win, as Vane Arms, who are having a fantastic run, won 5-3.

Star man Stephen “Nelly” Wright grabbed a hat-trick from the right wing, giving Colin Hagan problems throughout. Nelson and new signing Adam Cushingham made it five, Jonny Atkinson, Lewis and Craig Charlton responded.

Welcome Tavern are enduring desperate times and they lost again, 3-0 to The Royal Marine, for whom Marshall, Collins and Grosert notched.

Welcome are now staring at the drop into the Third Division unless their form picks up.

Farringdon Detached extended their lead at the top with a hard-earned 2-0 win at Lakeside SSC, who dropped into the bottom three as a result. Crosby and Stevens fired home for Farringdon.

Hylton Road Carpets Elite were poor against Victory Club, who ran out 2-0 winners. with Hunter and Calvert bagging the decisive goals.

Ian Douglas came back to haunt Ryhope CW with a late goal to earn Westmount a welcome 2-2 Premier Division draw.

King and Rogerson had Ryhope 2-0 up, then Smart came of the bench to pull a goal back and Ryhope old boy Ian Douglas shot home the leveller after a defensive mistake

SR Dons enjoyed an easy 6-1 win over Guide Post, with star man Emery hitting four goals.

Harrison and Noble also struck, with Andy Adey replying.

Kevin Ambler gave Washington Wetherspoons an early lead, but it was in vain as Ryhope Railway dominated the rest of their Third Division game to finish 5-1 winners.

James Dent grabbed a hat-trick, followed by a Jack McConville header, then Michael Vincent finished the scoring, tapping in after great work from Paul Jackson.

Craig Neal took all of the plaudits after firing five goals in Washington Last Orders’ one-sided 7-1 victory at The Dolphin.

Sweeney hit a consolation goal for Dolphin, but McIntyre and star man Craig’s little brother Gavin Neal, with a volley into the top corner, sealed their fate.

Unbeaten Hendon recorded their eighth league win, sinking Washington New Tavern 6-3.

Clayton Davis hit a great hat-trick and also missed a penalty. New Tavern levelled through Patterson, Davies and Harrison, but the visitors had a man sent off and Hendon took control, with Welsh’s double backed by a goal from sub Keith Reay.

AFC Wearside made hard work of their 1-1 draw with Washington Colliery, but the point cemented their second place.

Jason Calvert gave Wearside the lead, but Martin Maggiore scored a late equaliser.

GBSC moved top in Division Four thanks to a 4-2 win at Jollies.

They took a 4-0 lead by half-time, with goals from Murray, Wharton, Weir and Houghton. Jollies had a good go in the second half but could only manage two replies, from Fairley and Young.

The Lansdowne nearly missed out on all three points against Martin Telfer Carpets after captain Keith Airson saw red, but the spirit of Tom Smith’s boys shone through and Matty Frost got the all-important goal to keep them in the promotion mix.

New Town hammered Unite New Herrington Club 9-3.

Snelling grabbed a hat-trick for Herrington, but New Town were ruthless in front of goal.

Winlow’s treble was backed by efforts from Holland, Salichi (2), Mhlanga, Foster and Thompson.

Tunstall Titans sealed a much-needed 4-2 victory over Oddfellows Arms.

Donnelly, Anderson and Robinson gave Tunstall a 3-0 lead but Oddfellows came out all guns blazing and quickly pulled two goals back. Titans, though, steadied the ship and Dom Smithson restored the two-goal advantage.

Ashbrooke Sports Club and Sunderland Railway Club shared the spoils in a 3-3 thriller.

Ashbrooke led three times, through Matty Teasdale (2) and Dan Simpson, but Ashmore, Timm and Marshall rallied Railway.

H WORKERS at EDF Energy took to the pitch to raise money for Marie Curie Cancer Care, with Alan Carter’s All-stars beating Paul Stephenson’s PS Wanderers 6-3.

Middlemiss nodded home Lundy’s cross for All-stars’ opener, then his deflected shot sailed past keeper Tate for 2-0.

Jack Summers replied with a curling strike after a defensive error, but Rio Gooch surged forward to fire home a third for All-stars form the edge of the box.

Carter twisted and turned, Lionel Messi style, before rolling home a fourth goal, and he notched again with a neat volley, while Middlemiss completed his hat-trick with a cool finish.

In between, Lundy grabbed his second and Leon Stapleton cleared a ball from halfway which sailed over the keeper’s head.